Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I have a question. Does my son's father still have to pay his child support even though my son just turned 17 and is not in school any longer, but has his GED?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • It's different in each state. You need to check your state laws.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 10:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Read your support papers every state has different laws. My dh has to pay his ex until their son turns 21 no matter what the education situation is.

    Answer by bseastrand at 10:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • YEEEEEEEPERS! He's still a minor, not emancipated.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • I think so until he turns 18 but I would check your state laws too.

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Normally it's when they are 18 or when they graduate from school. So since your son got his GED then most likely not.

    Answer by Snewo at 10:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • I believe the answer would be yes, but I don't know what your state regulations are. I would definitely look into that, you may even be able to find it on your states website.

    Answer by crystal1023 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • I think in most states it is until they are 18 and after 18 if they are still in school.

    Answer by Alta2008 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.