Breast feeding

i was well prepared to breast feed my son for a least the first month. i breast fed my daughter for the first month and had NO problems at all with it.. no engorgement.. no lack of milk nothing to worry about or anything... my son is now 3 weeks and at a week and a half i had a break out of shingles... so i had to stop breast feeding on my left side.. but could continue on my right.. so i started pumping to make sure i wouldnt lose supply and then to make sure he was getting enough.. and the first few days i would get 4 oz in a five min pump (4 oz from each side) and i pumped regularly.. but then my milk strated getting less WAaAAy less.. like not even an half an oz every 3 hours.. i increased fluids and everything but nothing.. what would cause that to happen??

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Health

• that happend to me. and i didt know what to do so i stopped :(
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 10:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Pumping is not an accurate measurement of how much you are producing. Most women will be lucky to get even 1 ounce from both during each session pumping.

Just keep nursing him on the one side as often as he wants and your body will compensate for it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I had very little milk when I started to breastfeed and my mom told me an old wives remedy I do not know if it could work for you but here it is drink a small can or bottle of dark beer not too cold. In my case I was so desperate that I did it and then pumped 1 hour later and then then the next hour bam! they got so full that my baby got a full tummy and I was still huge I did not had any problems with the supply after that.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• keep nursing, pumping can be a hit or miss, even if you can only pump a little bit on one side and nurse the other at least the milk isn'y completly gone on the pumping side. you can try FENUGREEK, which is all natural and very safe, it's a capsul, so no nasty tastes.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• try massaging breast and apply hot compress both will help with milk
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You can always rent a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony is great) and pump for 15 min every 2 -3 hours for a week or so. That should get it going again. They say Blessed Thistle (not the same as Milk Thistle) and eating oatmeal a couple times a day helps with supply. I exclusively pump with a hospital rental and my milk supply is awesome as a result.

Are you taking and medications? Those can cause milk supply to drop.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• breastmilk is a supply/demand system meaning the more you use it the more you make. i always made enough but when pumping i would get barely anything at all. If youa re worried try mothers milk tea it helps alot
    ladysummeraire

Answer by ladysummeraire at 12:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2010