Have you ever added Duocal to your Breastmilk or baby's food?

My son refuses to eat anything much except for my breastmilk. My other 3 sons didnt have any weight gaining issues, but my 4th son does. He was born 8lbs 3oz and now at almost 8months only weighs 13lbs. He has some developmental delays so we have a PT, OT and dietitian working with him. He was eating sweet potatoes for a while, but now even is refusing them. I was wondering if anybody ever used Duocal and did it work to help your child gain the appropriate weight needed?

team21

Asked by team21 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son doesn't eat much either but he is 21 pounds at 9 months. I bumped you....hope you get some helpful answers!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I never did, but my daughter didn't like baby food either. So I did baby-led solids with her. Google it and you will find lots of info. I would say not to worry about the weight gain, but the delays are a concern. Since you are working with a dietician, they may have info on baby led solids also, though it's a fairly new concept in the US.
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 11:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't know what Duocal is and my son had the same problems. He refused all foods except breast milk until we agreed to place him in in-patient therapy for 5 weeks. He has developmental delays and also had an OT, a speech therapist and a special instruction teacher from 1 until 3, now he only gets the speech therapist. I was never informed of any meds (I'm assuming duocal is a med, right?) that would help. Having a child that doesn't eat is very difficult. Please send me a message or friend me if you want to or need to talk to someone. It's still something we struggle with daily.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I just googled duocal and I'm mad no one ever told me about this! It says it's for failure to thrive and my child was labeled with that. Is this stuff new? I was only told to use pedisure but of course he didn't like that.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I tried Duocal, but my dd won't eat anything with it mixed in. Adding formula powder has worked, though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2010