Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is there anything I can do to prevent the court from stopping my child support?

I received a notice that my c/s would stop the first of the year because the father is on disability and his payments are "need based". Well, the $200/month for our son is "need based" as well. Why should I get screwed so he can collect benefits and not help. The child is 14 and he has only paid c/s for 18 months and owes over $40k in back support. How could the court do this?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Omg .sorry no advice other than here in louisiana they are allowed to take a percentage of his disability pay!.. this sucks for you i am so sorry. this just isn't fair to you or your child! Why do these states continue to let these deadbeats not support these babies!

    Answer by harris4 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • Talk to a lawyer or something

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

  • That's would piss me off he should be made to pay something. The order was already made before he was put on disability. I would look into that he can just go and make more without having to pay. The law sucks sometimes or the law is very stupid.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 8:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

  • I think he sitll owes you the 40K, but sounds like he won't be expected to keep paying after he has paid off the 40k. I would be on the phone with a lawyer and the disablity people.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

  • Hire an attorney.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010