At what age do you think its ok for your child to walk to school, if the school is near by?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am super careful, so probably not until at least middle school and even then I would want him or her to walk with a buddy. It takes a sec for a child to get snatched, and kids get taken from their front yards.
    MagdaJ

Answer by MagdaJ at 11:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• You didn't say how old the child is. But I would say to wait until the child is in third grade if they walk alone. If they are younger, why doesn't the child just walk with the neighbor's kids.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mine started last year. They were in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades and walked together 3 1/2 blocks. They started walking home occasionally the year before (son kindy, 1st and 3rd grades). I would pick them up and let them walk home ahead of me or walk all the way while I went the other way to the store.

They are now in 2nd, 3rd and 5th and take the bus which stops down the street from us. They walk themselves to and from the bus stop as do all the kids in our neighborhood (there are never parents at the bus stop which is kids 1st-5th).

In the end it really depends on the child and the neighborhood. My kids are allowed to run all over so walking to and from school/bus stop is no big deal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would allow my daughter to walk to school when she turns 16, and not a year or moment sooner. The school she currently goes to is not even 2 mintues away from our house, yet I wouldn't let her walk to school, even if it would save money for gas.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 11:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I let my firstborn walk to school the 2nd semester of Kindergarten. I would stand in the front yard and watch as I could see him all the way to school. When we moved to a house, in a small town, around the corner from a school (could no longer see the whole way) my oldest two (2nd grade and K) would walk to school together.
    5mom0f

Answer by 5mom0f at 3:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010