Were you spoiled as a child? Are you spoiled now?

And do you spoil your own children? I'm referring to material things.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I was the lease spoiled out of the kids but funny thing was I was the only girl, you'd think I would be spoiled.
    No my kids aren't spoiled by me but they are by their grandparents
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I thought I was growing up (being the youngest) but then I met DH...yeah lol not even close. My little one is too young to tell but I plan on having a big family so I say...no
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I was anything but spoiled as a child but my hubby spoils me. I give allot to my kids but not to the point where I would say they are spoiled by any means.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 11:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I was spoiled growing up, but not anymore. I work super hard for everything we have. My kids are spoiled by my mom, but I don't spoil them. They only get things on holidays and birthdays, I think that being so spoiled did not prepare me for the real world. Living on my own was a rude awakening and I don't want that to happen to my kids.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• yes, yes, and kind of...i was spoiled when my aunt took custody of me :) my dh spoils me (but doesn't overdo it) :) and i try not to spoil my little boy but it's hard. he thinks he needs a new toy every time we go to walmart...i think my aunt spoiled him lol
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• as a kid heck NO I wasnt spoiled, there were 4 kids and not enough money to spoil us. Now I feel extremely spoiled compared to my childhood, and again if I were to base my son off my childhood I would say he is spoiled. But he isnt as spoiled materialistically as a few other kids I know. He doesnt have expensive toys because I know they break to easily and im not wasting money on them, but he has about a billion matchbox cars
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• As a kid OH YEAH (I was the oldest of the generation and the only girl for seven years)!
    Now not so much although my hubs will surprise me lol
    And yes I am guilty of spoiling the kids and Grands!
    gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 7:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There were four kids total. We were all spoiled. I am somewhat spoiled now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We did not have much money growing up. So material items were not really something that I was showered with. I was not spoiled, in my opinion. Am I spoiled now? I'm not even sure what that would mean. I have some nice things, many more things I dream about doing, seeing, or having if I ever won the lottery. But I would not say I am surrounded by material wealth. I am "spoiled" in that I have a loving husband, a wonderful child, and our needs are provided for. I work with a lot of people who do not have their basic needs met and would consider it a luxury to have some things I do. Is my four year old spoiled? No, he does not act entitled or have expectations of entitlement. He does have nice toys, lots of clothes (toys and clothes not from his parents), and our attention/love. But I would never call him spoiled.  His grandmother "spoils" him but that is her business and unique role as a grandparent.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• no, as the oldest I never got to get the chance to be spoiled. My sisters and brother would be the ones who got the new stuff while I got castoffs from others. I was bigger built than my sisters so they got new clothes, and since I was bigger built I got to wear my aunt's castoff clothing, she was 10 years older than me and I was about her size almost throughout my entire childhood.
    I would love to spoil my own children though, but I can't becuase DH lets his ex-wife tell him what to spend his money on, and he spoils my step-kids endlessly. My daughter was supposed to go to the zoo for her fifth birthday, he spent the money on clothing for his older kids to keep at their mom's house instead. My daughter refuses to believe that her birthday has already come and gone since she didn't go to the zoo.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010