Do you think that the increasing prevalence of violence on TV and in the lyrics of popular music has contributed significantly to the increase in violent crimes on our streets, in our homes and in our schools?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Entertainment

• No. Every generation complains that the popular entertainment of the time is "ruining" the next generation. This argument has gone back hundreds of years, and longer. Greek philosophers argued that their OWN theater was making young Greek men weak and lazy, as well as prone to violence. In his own time, Shakespeare was considered vulgar and bawdy, such that England BANNED theater for a time. Elvis and the Beatles were supposed to incite lust and mania so much that people wanted to BAN their music from the radio.

And yet, we're all still here. The world keeps on ticking, despite all these dire warnings that this or that form of entertainment is ruining society. The argument can be made that life imitates art, but art imitates life itself, so it's a chicken/egg argument.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No its called lack of parenting.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't, I think the music, tv is a reflection on the culture, not the cause of it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No. There has always been violence, it's nothing new. The difference between then and now is it's not looked at as "okay" or pushed aside. At one point if a guy hit his girlfriend it wasn't even able to be prosecuted, today, we know better. I don't think for a second there is MORE violence, I just think today we hear about it more and tolerate it less...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think it has contributed, but I don't know about significantly.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I think there's probably many causes or reasons but sure, that could be one.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I believe that music and media are about things that are already going on, or inspired by things that have already happened. So I think it's the other way around!
    NWA's music was misjudged as encouraging gang violence, when all they were rapping about was their every day life and what they saw.
    Even as far back as the 60's there were war protest songs, and songs about losing people to war.
    Blue Monday, by the Boomtown Rats was about Brenda Spencer who was frying on acid and shot a bunch of kids and teachers at a school back in the 60's I believe. When asked why she did it, she simply said,"I don't like mondays"
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No I think it is the parents. As Frank Zappa said (in response to Tipper Gore saying this) "I wrote a song about brushing your teeth, but nobody's teeth got cleaner." It is one of my favorite quotes ever.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think it's increased idleness, decreased socializing (the internet makes it easy to "make friends" without having to deal with real people in real life) and decreased parental influence due mostly to the fact that most houses are dual income households. I don't think the media has much to do with it
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• No.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010