Do you think that more parents are still using the TV as a babysitter?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No. But I do think children are watching television more than what they should. So it follows that parents allow children to watch more television than they should. I don't think parents deliberately have in mind that a television set is watching their child. The end result is, in my opinion, (even if you don't mean for the television to babysit) is that if you turn on the boob tube so you can get things done, find that an hour later your child is still in front of the television - then YES. Yes, you are utilizing the tevelvision as a way to keep your kids busy because it is easy to do. That is a sad thing. Why not engage the chid in getting things done with you? Why not set up the playdoug or colors on the table instead of the television? This way it is contained and you clean that last. Why not in the play room? Then have them clean that up last? In the end, I still say it is up to the parent.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I know several parents who allow there kids to play video games for as long as they want because then they don't have to deal with the kids! Their words, not mine. Just think it's sad on all they're missing out on!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Maybe, I know when my kids were little the TV was alwasy on. We would play and dance and have fun, although the TV was while we did this, My kids never paid attention to it much and I think I had it on as backround noise. Now that they are older there are some day they watch TV all day and others they don't watch it very much.

I agree that it doesn't make a good babysitter although I am sure there are people out there that put the kids in front of the TV and don't do much else with them. Just like there are parents that believe the TV shouldn't be on at all.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Definitely. It keeps the child out of their hair. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that kids under 2 years old not watch any TV and that those older than 2 watch no more than 1 to 2 hours a day of quality programming. So many children are content in front of tv and video games, and meanwhile it is turning their brains to mush.

Parents are busier these days and have more pressures, but I for one would really like to see people monitoring better the duration and the content when it comes to screen time.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Videos also.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yeah.. welcome to 2010.... people are lazy now a days.. i know parents that dont work but yet send their kids to day care.. i dont understand it. I didnt sit in the house and watch tv all day or hardly ever.. my children dont watch tv unless they are about to take a nap or im cooking and need them out of the way for a bit. They r usually in the living room playing with toys, too cold to go outside but we get out when we walk the dog. TV is over rated!
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I guess it depends on what defines "babysitter" my kids do watch tv so I can get things done. If so, then I know a lot of parents that use the tv in that way.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I believe there are some out there that do it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• Maybe some are. I'm sure not. Ha! Some days I wish my son would watch tv for 10 minutes, but he's almost 15 months old and has ZERO interest in it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2010

• I don't know...maybe? I let my dd watch tv at certain times throughout the day, and while she's watching, I'll get some chores done. I'm not sure if that qualifies as "using the tv as a babysitter" or not...not that I care what others think...lol...just answering your question...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010