What exactly would you say?

Ok, so I'm friends with this girl, but we're not close or anything. We keep in touch on Facebook and occasionally get together. She has one 6 month old son and is a sahm. Now...her parents watch her baby from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon EVERY week. They also watch her all day on Mondays and Wednesdays. Whatever, none of my business, but...

she is constantly complaining about how hard it is and how she needs "me" time to me. I'm a sahm and I'm with my son 24/7. I'm getting sick of hearing the whining, then seeing pics of her partying every weekend on Facebook.

What would YOU say to her when she complains? Because I'm becoming more and more tempted to say something not so sweet, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If it were me, if I found her that annoying, I would stop trying to continue the relationship with her. Because honestly, if she kept complaining about how hard it was, I am blunt enough that I would eventually say, "What is so hard about it when you get every weekend out? How much me time do you need exactly? Or rather, how much Mommy time do you think she needs?"
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• it sounds like she is trying to justify her going out bc she already feels bad. i would say that i would feel bad about leaving my child and turn the tables on her
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'd say,"listen here biotch..." Just kidding. I'd probably say what you said. I am pretty blunt and tell her to stop complaining and that most people get no breaks at all. I don't even pee alone..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'd probably just tell he that she is lucky to have her parents to give her a break now an then and you would love to have that. So exactly what I'd say is.... "I know it can be hard. You are lucky to have your parents to give you a break from the demands of mommyhood. I wish I could have that."
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Id say something like girl you have it made, i wish i had someone who would watch my baby.Thats what i tell my cousin & his wife,They have a total of 6 kids& my aunt& uncle cant be w/out their grandkids, the kids practically live w/my aunt& uncle.So i remind her how lucky she is or sometimes i just tell her how i wish my mother was like my aunt.Not in a bad way but she just smiles.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would just tell her that she has it made. I wish my mom lived closer, she would watch the kids a lot and maybe I would have a cleaner house.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I mean...I wanna say something like, "Oh yeah, those two full days must be sooooo hard". Not to mention (and this is none of my business, either), but she tells me how her son watches 4-5 hours of tv a day! My 14 month old won't watch 10 minutes. It just gets annoying when we both talk about how it gets hard sometimes and how it's a lot of work some days, and she's acting as if we do the same thing....when I'm with my son all day, every day. He has never been to a babysitter, and has been watched by my parents for maybe a TOTAL of two days SINCE he was born, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'd probably just tell he that she is lucky to have her parents to give her a break now an then and you would love to have that. So exactly what I'd say is.... "I know it can be hard. You are lucky to have your parents to give you a break from the demands of mommyhood. I wish I could have that." "

Well, that's the thing. My parents always offer, but I usually just tell them never mind, lol. They would watch him over night if I wanted...but I'd rather have him at home, lol. I guess it's partly my fault. They did watch him one night when he was younger and my husband and I were seriously suffering from sleep deprivation.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I know, right, lol? And now, every time I pee, my son walks in the room and waves his arm and makes this grunting noise. I taught him to do that when something is dirty or "stinky". How he figured out that the toilet is "stinky" I don't know, lol! I told him, just today...
    "No, my pee and I don't stink. You stink.", hahaha!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would not say anything. You were right the first time, it is none of your concern. This is obviously someone you call up or she calls you - but you accept the invitation. If it is to the point where you really just are not interested in continuing a relationship because you find it really annoying....then don't continue it. Gracefully tell her that you just don't have a lot of Mommy or Me time right now. You don't have to cut her out completely. But you can just call when looking for a fun night out without your child. This way, even if its just once a month, you ARE getting that Me time you need and can have a rule: NO baby or parent talk. This way you eliminate the thing you find most frustrating about her. Or if you continue to really enjoy her company - you ignore the talk. Change the subject. Just nod and move on.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010