Anyone allergic to Christmas trees? Need help...

What are some of the signs/symptoms of your allergy if you are near one for too long?

I haven't had a 'real' tree in about four years, and we just got one a week ago. Pretty much right after we got it, I started having a sore throat...then cough...then completely lost my voice. There's no congestion, no cold-like symptoms. Just the laryngitis-style voice loss and a tendency to kind of "choke" on the air - almost every time I breathe in, I cough a little.

I never showed signs of allergy before, but my mom is allergic to Christmas trees so that's what made me think of it.

Thoughts?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 12:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Health

• i cant touch live christmas trees or i start to break out in hives. my throat doesnt close or anything i just start itching like crazy. we recently got my grandmother to realize that i cant touch the live ones and she's finally hushed about gettting one.
    eamace4ever

Answer by eamace4ever at 12:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My FIL can't have them in the house. He's allergic to the mold or fungus common on them, and it usually leads to him getting sick.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My husband is allergic to real christmas trees we got one last year and a few days later he got sick he had running nose a cough itchy eyes and watery eyes he didnt really get congestion either but he was sick up until they took it out the house oh yea he also had a sore throat and thats about it my husband took every allergy medicine he could think of and it wouldnt work until they took it out the house so this year we decided to get a fake christmas tree .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That sounds like it could be an allergy to me. Have you tried taking an over the counter allergy pill?
    tyleroy

Answer by tyleroy at 12:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Headache, runny nose itchy eyes, sore throat all signs of allergies
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I started taking Zyrtec about 3 days ago, but so far no change. I have gotten my voice back a little bit, but the worst art is the cough...I just feel like every time I breathe, something catches in my throat and I start choking. :-/
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I can't touch live Christmas trees or anything that's been in contact with them (like the lights, ornaments, garland) or even the presents if they've sat under the tree long.

I break out in a rash all over the skin that comes in contact with the tree. My skin turns bright red, swells and itches like crazy! The last time I stubbornly decorated the tree *ANYWAY* I was in my late tweens, and I looked like I'd been scalded with boiling water from the tips of my fingers to my biceps. My fingers were so swollen I couldn't bend them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would think a reaction would be more like sneezing and congestion than anything.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2010