Do you do a toy cleanout before Christmas?

If so do your kids ever notice what is missing? I did a toy clean out (it was needed and overdue) and there were noticeably less toys and the kids did not ask a thing.

What do you do with the old toys? I toss some and save some for the garage sale in the spring.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I did one before my sons birthday, and plan to do one today while he is in daycare!
    He NEVER notices, but he is only 4 so..

I throw away the broken toys, and give the rest to the thrift shop
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes and they help choose what goes. We have explained that there are kids that don't have any toys and they have lots of toys that they don;t even play with. The first couple of times it was hard, but now they really get into it. my 4 year old was trying to give his bed and favorite blankets too.

I think it is important for them to know why we are doing it and that it helps other kids too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, in October. If I don't tell them, they didn't know it was missing because they obviously weren't playing with it anyway.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I do and I donate them. I have the girls help me so I don't give away a toy they really like and get upset. I did it one year without them and gave away a Jessie doll from Toy Story 2 and my daughter still won't let me live that down.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We call it "thinning the herd" and it's a must. Any toys that have all of the pieces I give to a local church school and everything else goes to the dump. We do it late at night so the boys don't see what's going and everything headed for the dump is put into the back of DH's truck and covered, so they can't object to what is going. They sometimes notice one or two things are gone, but forget as soon as Christmas is here. We are also careful not to toss anything that could be a favorite no matter the condition.
    By the way our "thinning" is going to take place tomorrow night. LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, not until Spring... and most often it's only the broken items that get tossed and
    a pile that I will ask him about that will get donated and or sold at our annual family
    yard sale in the summer...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• just did it.
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yes we do it together. Right after Halloween. We throw away broken toys. Hand down some toys to relatives or donate them to the local salvation army or good will. I don't do it behind their backs I want them to learn and understand about cleaning out the old to make way for the new. My Mother used to throw stuff away behind my back and I hated it ! I would go to play with something and it would be gone. She decided what I still played with and what I didn't. She never asked me. And to this day I resent it, I vowed I would never do that to my kids. They like the idea of learning how to make decisions, and I like knowing that I am teaching them a life skill

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Donate them
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes. I give them to my mom or save them for this baby. My mom has 3 grandkids with one more (mine) on the way so she can use some toys there. :P Otherwise if I want them but my daughter has outgrown or no longer plays with, we save them for this baby.
    Honeybun09

Answer by Honeybun09 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010