Ugh, any ideas? I don't know how to help my poor baby!

**Disclaimer: I fully intend to call the doctor (again) in the morning!**

I took DS, 3 1/2 years old, to the doctor today, because at 1am (last night) he woke up with a harsh cough (not the barky seal cough of croup, but dang near it in severity and harshness). His ears are perfectly pearl colored, not a wheeze or rattle in his chest, his throat is just slightly pinker than normal (due to the coughing, no coubt), so she didn't prescribe antibiotics - which I am perfectly fine with, I understand the whole resistance thing and I myself am resistant to most thanks to a childhood doctor who prescribed me antibiotics for every damn sniffle. She did however say to use ibuprofen (to help the inflamation in his throat) and prescribed an oral albuterol syrup to open his airways.

Anywho. 6 hours straight last night the poor kid couldn't stop coughing, therefore he, DH, and I, got no sleep. Well now, even with the albuterol, ibu, vicks on his feet & chest (that he wiped off), steam, cold, everything we can think of that's safe to go with what we've already given/done, the poor kid just can't stop coughing. We live out in the middle of nowhere, so it's not like I can just go grab something from the store, or call for a new prescription becasue we don't have a 24/7 pharmacy, nor can we go to an urgent care or anything because we just don't have anything. So ladies - what else can I do for the poor kid?! He's sleeping on Daddy in the chair tonight, which helps slightly (I did it for 4 hours last night). Like I already said, I fully intend to call the doc back in the morning, but we've got 9 hours til she's in. Help!?!?!?!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Sit in hot steamy bathroom, turn the shower on HOT and sit away from the water stream, but near the steam. Also, children's benedryl always worked for my child's night time croupy cough. Don't lay her down on her back to sleep, prop her up to a sitting position, and give her liquids to drink. The oral albuterol should be kicking in, and the benedryl is safe to give with that by the way.

As long as she is not struggling to breath, nostrils are not flaring, and chest sounds clear, it should be better in the morning. Good luck, we have been there many times!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you have any lemon juice and honey, try warming them together in a saucepan and allow to cool a bit. Give a couple of tablespoonfuls as needed. It may take a few doses, but it definitely won't hurt unless he's allergic to either.
    Keilman1

Answer by Keilman1 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Just keep doing what your doing. Poor baby I wish I had more advice. It breaks my heart to hear this :( I'm so sorry
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No honey, no lemon, no cough meds (hello, they've been pulled from the shelf for kids this young!), no benadryl (don't use it, ever, because of a possible heart condition). Steam hasn't helped, cold hasn't helped. He's drinking sips of water but doesn't want anything else. I'm not even the one sitting up with him tonight and I'm not gonna sleep :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sorry. You said, "can't go grab something from the store." I assumed you meant cough syrup. I don't know the rules on cough syrup on kids that young....never had kids that young. Sorry. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• They have not pulled dextromethorphan (Delsym (R)) and guaifenesin (Mucinex (R)) from the shelves; these have both been part of my cold regimen for my family this past month. Delsym is good for stopping the dry coughs that are usually caused by sinus drainage (causing a tickle in the throat). Mucinex is good when there is mucus that is being coughed up (and you want to lessen the effort of your child's cough). Anyway, since you don't have access to them tonight, I agree with the steam from the shower that spottedpony said. I would try this for several minutes. Do you have a vaporizer/humidifier? That has helped my kids with their colds.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 1:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Tried the Delsym too - hasn't helped. Mucinex is another med on our not-allowed list. And go figure, our vaporizer doesn't work. Ugh, this just isn't my poor baby's (or mine!) night!

Thanks ladies, I really do appreciate, if nothing else, the time you've taken to read & respond!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I'm not sure there IS much more you can do for your baby. The dry/hacking cough you're describing is one of the worst....when my DD had it, I had to sit up on the couch with her head on my shoulder...it was the only way she could sleep without coughing uncontrollably. Sucked for ME, but at least she got some rest. One thing she DID request because it made her throat feel better, was Yogurt...it's thick, cold (soothing to the throat) and can coat the "tickle" for a bit. But, other than that and cold water, she didn't want anything either...it lasted about 5 days. Good luck =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• He finally dozed off around 2am so DH put him to bed and he SLEPT with NO coughing for 5 hours! PTL! He's got a lot more mucus going on now, which I think was the only reason the doc didn't give him anything yesterday, because it was dry - it's definitely not now! Thanks again all!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well, for the future - keep a children's cold and/or cold and cough medicine on hand. We're 5 mins from a store and still do that....

I guess I'd just try feeding him something warm - chicken soup or water with chicken bouillon, or tea with honey. The sitting up while sleeping probably helps keep his airways open so that's a good thing to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2010