My 17 y/o is so giving me tude..

How about you how are you dealing with the tude season? Shesh.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yeah 365/24/7 except on leap year, and then it is 366. LOL
    Keilman1

Answer by Keilman1 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my seventeen yr old son already seems to think he's 18 and has the attitude that he doesn't have to go to school unless he wants to of course his dad set him straight on that. sureill hate to see how he acts when he really turns 18
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 12:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Three sons....it started at 17, and seems to end around 20 or so....my 19 year old is in full TUDE!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm experiencing the same issue (see my own question about it actually). It started around end of 16th year and is now in full force. He's giving me attitude if I ask him to do chores, won't do them most of the time or half-does them - especially gets upset if I say 'I've already asked you twice" and says the "I HEARD you MOOOOM" thing. Grr, that drives me batty. Demands, not asks. Upset if I make him stick to his curfue "Ugh. Why can't I just do it this once?! I'm 17 now!" not understanding that the city has a curfew and its for his own safety. In short, I feel for you. Some days I wonder where my kid went, cause the one I know now is not the same.
    Breelv2

Answer by Breelv2 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mine started at 15, after one argument and refusing to let him go with his friends (because he wouldn't tell me who he was going with or what time to expect him home). I decided it was time to talk to him, because I couldn't deal with it anymore. He had gone up to his room, so I waited 30 minutes and went upstairs. I knocked on the door and let myself in. I said "I really think we need to talk about this, are you calm enough to talk to me?" When he said yes, I sat down on the bed, I looked at him and I said I'm sorry that I had to keep you from going with your friends, but I want you to know that they way you talk to me hurts my feelings, it makes me very sad to think that we may not have a relationship as you continue to get older, and I want you in my life. The things you say and how you say them hurt me. Then I talked about how much priveledge he has, why I need to know who, what, where, why he is doing things..cont
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I laid out the rules again. Stay Safe, Keep In Touch, Show respect and why those rules are important. I explained that he has only a few chores that I ask of him, and that I don't even care if they don't get done right away but I expect them done because we all live in this home together and everyone is responsible for showing our home respect. I cried my eyes while I was talking to him and in the end he understood, we don't fight, there is no telling me no I'm doing my chores, instead he will say I know I need to wash the floor, just let me finish this movie and I'll get it done, or I have wrestling practice this week every night can I just do those dishes on Wed...no arguments. He does them when he says, I know in advance the plans for the weekends, in fact when his weekend looks full I ask where he plans to put me in there and he will change plans or have friends over to be with me. It works. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• very good approach blessedwboysx3. sometimes teens confuse guidance from parents as treating them like a little kid;;;well at least that's how i felt when i was a teen.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010