raising mice

I raise mice as a feeder animal for a ferret and cats. I need to know what age they can start breeding at and what do they need to stay happy and healthy enough to give me healthy babies. I like to have happy healthy animals no matter what they are to be used for

ladysummeraire

Asked by ladysummeraire at 12:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pets

• you might have better luck getting answers from
    http://answers.yahoo.com/
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Apparently they can breed as early as 5 weeks of age, and the males mature a little slower than the females. So I would except around 2-3 months of age. You need to breed them before 4 months of age, or it may not be successful. With age, the number of babies, and frequency of matings will decrease, so you need to replace older mice with younger breeder mice.

Consistent handling, a quiet environment. Allow the males a day or two in the cage before introducing the female, they are territorial and need some adjustment time before mating. Rotate the females through the male's cage, but not the other way around. Females need 4-5 days at least in that cage for their estrus cycle. The female can get pregnant 24 hours after birth, so leave her in the cage with the male. Most males leave the babies alone. Give your mice nestlets-nesting materials and some environmental stimulation like a wheel to run it, etc... Also12 hours of light.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010