Can some one explain to me what buddist's believe in and what the practice?

Please don't give me a link because I went looking for it and I kept getting pages that were extremely long. I have a newborn and I wish I could read it all, but I can't. So please it would be very kind if some one could give me buddism in a nutshell.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's a good question, I've often wondered myself. Someone once told me that Buddist believe you choose your parents before your born. If that's true, I did a horrible job, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• lol..they are all about karma..I know that much. You do good, you feel good.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• 4 major beliefs of the buddists;

Anicca (Sanskrit: anitya): That all things that come to be have an end.
    Dukkha (Sanskrit: duḥkha): That nothing which comes to be is ultimately satisfying.
    Anattā (Sanskrit: anātman): That nothing in the realm of experience can really be said to be "I" or "mine".
    Nibbāna (Sanskrit: Nirvāna): It is possible for sentient beings to realize a dimension of awareness which is totally unconstructed and peaceful, and end all suffering due to the mind's interaction with the conditioned world.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• From what I understand, there are the Four Noble Truths (life is suffering, suffering stems from attachment/desire, you can find an end to suffering, that end comes through the Eightfold Path) and the Eightfold Path (right view, intention, speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness, and concentration) those are key to Buddhists.

There is also a focus on enlightenment and there are Five Precepts (do not kill, steal, lie, be unchaste, take drugs or intoxicants).

Its not necessarily a theistic faith, though the Buddha never really denied the existence of a god/gods. They tend to focus on their own effort in reaching/attaining their own spiritual success, is all - the existence of a god tends to be irrelevant or superfluous to the Buddhist path.

I could have some of my info wrong, and if I do, I hope one of our Buddhist ladies corrects me. I think I have it pretty close, though. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I know you said you don't have time to read a link.. but how about a video? They have a documentary that is very entertaining and insightful on buddhism called "The Buddha".. it tells the story of the Buddha and how he came to be and how he taught and lived..it is narrated by Richard Gere and the Dali Lama.. yet another gem of netflix.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 8:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I've been wanting to watch that, I just don't have time with a 3 year old who won't nap, lol. I don't to watch unless I can actually sit and pay attention. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I really don't think I can explain Buddhism in less than 900 words without giving you some links. There are a couple links that are more concise about a basic introduction to Buddhism. If you're interested in them, just let me know. There are many paths and perspectives in Buddhism, so only the most basic information covers all of it. Buddhism is basically non-theistic. Some Buddhists are Pantheists, and some are atheists. There are Buddhists who are theistic too. Buddhism is considered a religion by some, but it's more of a way of life or philosophy. Buddha means 'Awake'. The founder of Buddhism was Siddhārtha Gautama, who we now call The Buddha or Enlightened One. Anyone can become a Buddha though. He's not divine. In Buddhism, there are sacred texts, but you do not follow them blindly, it's important to ask questions and find your own path. Buddhists are generally tolerant of and even accept other beliefs.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• This is taken from one of those links I mentioned, but I think it's a good summary of Buddhist perspective:

"In general, Buddhism is a way of finding peace within oneself. It is a religion that helps us to find the happiness and contentment we seek. Buddhists develop inner peace, kindness and wisdom through their daily practice; and then share their experience with others bringing real benefit to this world. They try not to harm others and to live peacefully and gently, working towards the ultimate goal of pure and lasting happiness."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Some important elements of Buddhism:

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

The Noble Eightfold Path

The Great Wall of China
    1. Right View Wisdom
    2. Right Intention
    3. Right Speech Ethical Conduct
    4. Right Action
    5. Right Livelihood
    6. Right Effort Mental Development
    7. Right Mindfulness
    8. Right Concentration

Compassion is very important in Buddhism. Another important concept in Buddhism is The Middle Way--avoiding extremes of self-indulgence and self-mortification. Karma is also important, and that's basically a law of moral causation without going into long explanations. Most Buddhists believe in the concept of rebirth which is actually a little different from reincarnation, but
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Oh, and that PBS documentary about The Buddha mentioned above is really good too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2010