do you have a child with sensory processing disorder?

my 6 year old has sensory intergration disorder.To explain this disorder is difficult .I really don't understand alot of it myself.I just know that Trevor is very disturbed by certian sounds some loud and some not so loud.He is affected by the smells of cooking and he don't feel pain like he should some of his senses are very sensitive while others like feeling pain is very dull.He has to be consistantly jumping.He will only eat certian textures of food he eats things like hot peppers,onions,Hot sauces,things that almost all kids would never touch. He also eats things off the floor still like a baby would he puts things in his mouth for the texture feel.I am told this is not a disorder within it's self it is just one of many symptoms of other disorders like Autisum and ADHD.I would really like to talk and share notes on how other parents and dealing with their childs SPD's

Joy0117S

Asked by Joy0117S at 12:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My son is 2 1/2 and he has autism and O.C.D. he has MANY sensory issues. What do you need to know? pm me if you like!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My son has SPD too. SPD is on it's way to being a "real" diagnosis. A lot of Dr's don't recognize it as an issue on it's own and will only diagnose it as a symptom, along side Autisim or ADHD, like you've mentioned. There are a lot of books on SPD, I have "The Out-of-Sync Child" and "The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun" they are both very helpfull books. There are lots of other books out there too. Here is an amazon link to a lot of books for SPD.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Sensory+Processing+Disorder
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 3:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My son and I both have autism so we are parts of that, probably not as extreme as your son though but I don't know for sure. Feel free to message me anytime you want to talk.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my son has pdd and my daughter has adhd, both of them don't likea lot of noise, right now we have five kids in the house so the noise level is high and I am noticing with my daughter that she can't handle noise. My son just eats bread, pasta, potatoes, chips and black olives. most of his food is salty, I think that it is because of texture. he is seven and we are still trying to get him diagnosed. He also doesn't feel internal pain, he just got over mono and pnuemonia and we didn't know he was sick until he ran a high fever and ended up in the emergency room. He got strep throat once and the dr. got real irritated at him because he kept saying nothing hurt.he does feel outward pain though, if he gets a little cut he feels it more than I would have thought was normal. He hasn't been diagnosed with SPD yet but I am wondeirng if any of these symptoms sound like it.
    buzybuzybusy

Answer by buzybuzybusy at 3:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think that sensory issues is its own disorder. But those of us in the professional field may have disagreements about that. My son also has some sensory issues. He is two and the way we first noticed something was wrong was when he stoped eating. I mean as in just didn't eat. He still doesn't eat a lot of things. He has three or four food items he will eat every time. I am told it will take my child a few years to work with his disorder to where he is comfortable with food again. He is also a little sensitive to some sounds. Hang in there. I have been through hell and back trying to advocate for my child. And his is mild. So I can't imagine what it is like for you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder when she was about 10 months old because she wouldn't eat normal things that a 10 month would. Like she would take one bite out of a nilla wafer and then want a new one. She would not just eat the whole thing...it was wierd. She also wouldn't even eat cheerios! At first they thought it was something with her throat because she also had other problems like she couldn't breast feed and I TRIED like heck to breastfeed her. They finally figured out that her tongue was too short to actually be able to latch on. Anyways, she was diagnosed with sensory disorder...she didn't like certain textures and loud sounds.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Cont. She had a really mild case of it and when she went to daycare and saw all the other kids eat other foods, then she started too. She pretty much grew out of it, she is now 7 years old. But she is very picky with her clothes so I know she still has it a little bit. She won't wear jeans and she is really picky with her shirts and socks too. She always says "they don't feel good" on her. So, she only wears stretchy pants and compy shirts. Point is, you will learn to adapt and it can be dealt with. It just takes a lot of pacience. And my daughter does not have ADHD or anything else so I do believe that sensory disorder is a condition by itself.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• This is so weird. I have never ever heard another mom say that their child only takes one bite and then wants another fry, cookie...my son does that. I never put that together with it being part of what is going on with his sensory issue. He also had a problem when we moved to lumpy foods - the next stage. It was then at 9 10 mths that things began to really start getting odd for us. And button up shirt....no way. My two year old does have a slight speech delay but he will catch up to his peers by next year. For his sensory disorder we work with an occupational therapist one day a week for one hour.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I have a 10yo with SPD. He is doing well, getting OT and PT weekly. His issues are becoming less noticeable. SO, for those of you with younger kids there is hope!!! I strongly recommend homeschooling due to them not being able to cope with a regular classroom. That is a personal issue though and I understand not everone can do that. I highly reccommend the OUT OF SYNC CHILD and THE OUT OF SYNC CHILD HAS FUN. We are learning new ways of coping every day. Good luck :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Check out this group on CAFEMOM. http://www.cafemom.com/group/10248/
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2008