YUK LICE...please help?

i watch my sisters and 2 other kiddos after school....and i have a 2 year old son..... my mom just informed me that my sisters have it so i checked my son and found 1 egg... we are going to shave his head and keep an eye on it... i am going to call the other parents in the morning to inform them because it is to late right now... i know i need to wash everything... can i stick his stuffed animals in the dryer to get rid of anything that may be in them.... they also play in his room and with all his toys.... should i wash all the clothes in his room...if i dye my hair can hair dye really kill it? if there is anything i want it gone... will just vaccuming the couch and area rug and sweeping and mopping do the job for the living room and stuff.... help first time i have dealt with it as a mommy.... i feel so yucky...but it said that it doesnt matter how clean you or your house is it can still happen to you... is that true? any tips?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Health

• Anyone can get lice. We have had it one time and got rid of it in 10 days which is like some sort of miracle! Everyone in the house should be checked over daily. Put a sheet over the couch and replace it a couple of times a day. Everyone in the house should wear a hat as soon as they walk in the door. That keeps it from spreading from person to person. Lice an not jump, so they have to be transferred by touch or by falling downwards. So the kids should not roll around on the floor at all until it is totally gone. Vacuum and clean like crazy, when in doubt vacuum. All soft toys should be placed in bags and left sealed for at least 2 weeks. Pillows and bedding should be washed on hot and dried in the dryer on the hottest setting. I would make sure that your little ones bedding is washed first thing in the morning and make sure to vacuum the mattress too.
    It is a lot of work, but totally worth it to keep it at bay.
    Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I had a cousin and his 4 kids living with me and they kept getting lice. My 3 kids and myself never got it from them even though his sons shared a room with mine.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I was fortunate that I didn't have to deal with it. I put tea tree oil in my sons shampoo while they were growing up and never had a problem. I do remember the school said if you put stuffed animals in a bag, place in the freezer this will kill the lice. Good Luck!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• if i were you i would get that rit spray that is for furniture etc. when i had lice in middle school, i had it pretty bad, but my mom used the spray on my bed everyday and washed my sheets etc everyday and used it ont he couche etc everyday and no oneelse in my family got it

so yeah, i suggest that spray good luck!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• clean everything bedding, toys you can bag airtight for 2 weeks or in dryer for 30 min. on highest setting, hats or headwear bag or put in dryer. vacuum and vacuum and vacuum again! for the room make sure all fabric or cloth toys are bagged for 2 weeks, and unfortunatly i do not believe hair dye kills them. i would also make sure to check everyday that the lice problem isnt continuing especially if the other kids do not get cleaned out properly
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 2:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Oh one more thing... make sure to keep checking for 10 days after you think you are rid of them. One egg is all that needs to survive for a whole new infestation. So be vigilant.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• mayo on the head with plastic bag tied in back 20 minutes keep an eye on them dont want suffocation of of kids only bugs it does work
    sherri

Answer by sherri at 2:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• ugh. good luck. Thankfully we have never dealth with lice here.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Grl i feel ur pain,well u need to wash evry thng in ur sons room that can be washd and then pop in dryer with the setting on hot.Check ur hairbrushes and combs and make sure to wash ur towels as well on hot soapy water,Theres sprays that u can get for ur furniture.For ur self u should do a treatment and then u could dye it.GOOD LUCK.OH yea make sure that any kids coming into ur home r lice free
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010