how do i introduce jar food and how much

jenny0626

Asked by jenny0626 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Introduce it when your baby shows interest in what/how you're eating. Start with baby cereals mixed in breastmilk/formula, juice, or water though if you haven't already. I don't remember having to do anything particularly special...except maybe making faces to get my daughter to open her mouth....lol. To start off she would typically eat about half of a small jar (2oz), but just stop feeding your baby when he or she starts to seem bored/uninterested. Might spit, blow raspberries, not want to open mouth, etc. Your baby will eat as much as he/she wants or needs to eat.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You may think this is crazy but it took 2 babies for me to learn this the hard way: when you start a baby on solids and they eat the puree veggies and fruits they usually eat just about everything you put in their mouth. Mamas think their kid is such a great eater. Then you realize after you try to take baby OFF purees that you did a horrible thing. See what happens is baby gets so used to that consistent smooth texture that always tastes the exact same. In reality, real fruits and veggies vary in taste all the time. Like a yellow banana isn't going to taste the same as a banana with some brown spots. Baby ends up rejecting all or most of the food you then put in front of them-including all of the foods baby was already eating out of a jar. Jars are god for convenience only. I suggest making your own baby food from the start. That way you can gradually make it less puree and more chunky as baby ages.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son would not eat anything but his bottle, so I got a nipple for cereal and mixed half breast milk and half fruit baby food and weened him that way.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You start out with just a tablespoon or 2 in the beginning. Baby wont eat a lot, if any. If baby becomes frustrated with it then stop and try the next day or even wait a few days. You usually have better luk when you introduce cereal 1st then veggies then fruits. If you give fruits 1st baby will think everything has to be sweet and reject veggies. Do one food at a time to screen for allergies.Wait a few days up until a week then go on to the next food if there was no reaction.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• good one sweet. It's been so long I forgot about all that stuff.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter never had any issues with transitioning from jar food to normal food - there are stages of jar foods to transition properly...from smooth to thicker and a little chunky to bigger chunks and pieces. I also introduced teething biscuits once she had a couple teeth, though. She transitioned to table food just fine. Indeed, she was eager to try table foods, because she always wanted what mommy and daddy were eating. Nor did every baby food out of a jar taste the same...she would reject certain purees, and like others. Maybe whatever baby food sweet bought just sucked, or her kids were picky. Not everyone has the time, knowledge, or desire to make their own baby food. Just pay attention to the signals your baby is sending out. If your baby doesn't show interest in your food instead of the breast/bottle, than he/she is just not ready. Good luck.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My pedi reccomended this website, there is lots of great info of how to start your baby on solids. It tells you when you can start certain foods. There is alot of great recipes too. I make all my baby food. It is so easy and saves money.
    www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We do baby led weaning. So, we skip purees altogether and go straight to table food when they are ready. For both of my boys that was between 7 and 8 months.

We just offered appropriate table foods that we were already having for dinner and it would start with once or twice a week and built up to everyday when they had tried a good variety.

Like Sweetlove, I feel this helped greatly to prevent the texture issues that some kids go through. Purees don't teach them anything but how to swallow, and they don't need the extra nutrients... so why not wait until they can *really* learn to chew and swallow and what real food feels/tastes like and start then?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• start with veggies first or the baby will nevr like them. after they taste fruit and puddings it is too late. start with the lightest then go to the darkest. try a new food every week but not every day. if there is a reaction oyu will know better what caused it. i know a lot of expert "advice has changed in the 3 decades since i had babies but somethigns never change
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010