How do I keep my kitties out of the crib?

Baka1216

Asked by Baka1216 at 2:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Close the baby's bedroom door, close off an area that is for cat's only or put a crib tent over the crib. You can usually buy them at Babies "R" Us
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i was worried about that before i had my twins, since i have four cats...
    i was hoping agianst hope that we wouldn't have a problem and since I always keep the door to their bedroom closed when theyre in there (and usually when no one is anyway) the cats dont go near them
    but i have seen these tops you can get for cribs when you have clmibing toddlers, theyre like a mesh tent topper that have a zip open spot, i was going to get those for the boys cribs if my cats found a way into their crib
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Get the tent and keep the door closed as much as you can. No other way. Cats never listen. I love them, they're cute and cuddly, but I refuse to own any more. At least dogs are trainable. I had to find a different home for my cats after the baby came because they would NOT leave the baby, the crib, the bassinet, the swing, the toys, etc alone...along with all the other trouble they were always getting into. It wasn't worth all the extra frustration having cats and a baby in the same house.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You can also squirt the cats with a water gun. That's what vets tell you to do to keep them away from plants and counters and such. Every cat is different, but I wouldn't risk a cat coming in contact with baby. Kitty could literally pop baby's eye out in the blink of an eye.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• The water gun thing never worked on my cats. They would just glare at me. =/ If it works for yours though, more power to you!
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have no Ideal as my cat doesnt go near Ds crib or near DS for a matter of fact.. She learned the hard way real fast
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 6:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, shut the door! You might also take the kitten by the scruff a few times when it is in the crib and see if that changes her mind. When the baby is out of the crib, place a plastic mat (that they use over carpet for office furniture) and place it tack, or sharp side up. Place a can of cat food on top of that mat and let kitty land on that a few times. You will need to have it happen more than one time. That might also change her mind.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• you can buy a mesh tent to put over the top of the crib. try not to scold kitty to the point of hurting her feelings, though. cats are very sensitive and hold a grudge for a loooong time. if you are constrantly yelling at kitty and doing things that may physically make him or her uncomfortable kitty will always resent the baby and never be in harmony with it. cats are curious by nature so when you are able to supervise, let kittly explore every aspect of the crib, baby furniture, toys, your baby, etc. believe me, if kitty gets to investigate he will eventually lose interest in everything and leave it alone. a firm "NO" is plenty harsh enough-they know what it means, they are extremely smart. the water gun thing dosn't ususally work. think of it like a teenager--the more you try to get them not to do something the more they try to sneak around and get pissd off at you. good luck!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010