vitamins

Silly question but is there any difference between dr prescribed prenatal vitamins and store brand?

blondie09

Asked by blondie09 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Not unless you have a specific need. My doctor prescribed me OTC prenatals.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• no...except the ones you get a rx for are much more expensive! i took the ones you get from walmart in a white container with a pink label...cant remember the name. the main thing is the iron and folic acid...but check with your dr when you go in monday and he will tell you better!
    amybaby2

Answer by amybaby2 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Nope not at all.....
    lelandsmom6707

Answer by lelandsmom6707 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i had to have my doc prescribe me prenatals that i couldnt buy OTC because all the OTC ones made me puke even worse than what i was already on-plus my insurance paid for it so it was better getting them for free than paying $13 a bottle!!
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Lol I dont think so, considering my dr, has about a trillion different kind, each time I'm pg I have a different kind and color vitamin, and some make me sick so thats when he switches me. I know that he gives me one different one when my baby was in risk of not making it, I guess to give her more nutrients. and before I had to take one in the morning and one at night (double yuck)
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 1:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• nope just make sure it has at least 400mg of folic acid.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• unless they are organic derived (plant form) vitamins and minerals, your body will only absorb maybe about 10% of he vitmains, if that. The human body is designed to absorb organic vitamins - not chemically enhanced. I wouldn' waste your mondy and just eat properly - plenty of fruit and veggies - orgaincally grown if you can get them.
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 1:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2008