I'm 17 weeks pregnant, I have one child and have had 2 tubals. I want this child. My blood work came back with possible down syndrome, I was offered another tests that would tell me for sure but with a little chance of miscarriage. What should I do? Anyone else gone through this or is going through this?

Tested positive for possible down syndrome!

baby2402

Asked by baby2402 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You need to ask yourself a few questions....would you keep this baby no matter what? Even if it had down-syndrome? If you said yes, then to me there is no chance I woudl do the other tests. When I was preggo with my daughter they wanted to do all kinds of "new" tests to see if she had developmental problems. I said no, for one they werent 100% accurate and two, I would want her no matter how she developed.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 1:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• This is extremely hard to answer. My opinion is that if you want this child regardless of the possibility of down syndrome, then there is no need to do the risky test. If this disease would make you question you wanting the baby then maybe you should. From your question you sound like u want the baby regardless so I would say to not get the test and be prepared for a beautiful baby to give lots of love too
    mimi30513

Answer by mimi30513 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• TRUST GOD AND KNOW THAT HE DOESN'T MAKE NO MISTAKES
    Anonymous

• The AFB test which is the test Dr's typically do first is notorious for having false positives. It checks for abdominal abnormalities, spina bifida, and DS. With my first pregnancy I got a positive. I felt as if there's no option but to have and to love my baby and I didn't want to go any further, BUT my DH felt the opposite, he wanted to know for sure and be able to prepare for the worst. I decided in the end that this is OUR baby not just mine so in respect of that I had the amnio. The worst part is after the test you've got to wait 2 weeks for the results. By the time I got the call I couldn't stand, or even dial a phone I was told she's 100% healthy and 100% girl. I was so relieved I just sat on the floor and cried. Since this experience I've had 3 other pregnancies, I've bowed out of the AFB screen for each one.

In the end the decision about what to do is your own, but I'd hope my story has helped in some way and if nothing else has helped to put your mind at ease.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 1:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I didn't have any of those tests. We wanted our child no matter what, and knew that the tests would only make us more nervous. There are so many things that can happen while in the womb, we didn't want to think we were in the clear just because some test said so...only to have a child with some other problem and be disappointed, if that makes sense. All we can really hope for is a safe delivery, we'll be truly blessed to get anything more. :) Good luck!
    Anonymous

• so you would just get rid of a child just because it has down syndrome? bc that seems to be theo nly other reason why you would check to see if it does. i think u should do more tests, just keep what god gives you and be thankful you can have a child.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• i personally would want to know for sure because i know for a fact that i would not have the patiants to be a good mom to a child with special needs. i had a friend that had a little boy with downs and it is very stressful and takes a toll on your marriage. don't feel bad if that is how your feeling. listen to your feelings and talk about it with your man. don't let these pro lifers and holy rollers influence you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I did not have ANY tests because we knowing that our baby had problems or not was not going to change anything for us. My son has Down Syndrome, we did not know this until after his birth. If you would like someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• im not a holy roller and of course im a pro lifer.. you should be thankful your mother was anonymous!! :) haha
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I didn't think I had the patience to raise a child with special needs either. Then my son was born, and we found out when he was 3 days old that he has Down syndrome. He is a wonderful child but does have some special needs. I can tell you that he has never put a strain on my marriage. It's crazy to blame any innocent child for that. It's up to you whether or not to get further testing. It would probably be good to know ahead of time so you can be prepared. Also, those screening tests have false positives and negatives all the time. My test was negative and I still had a baby with Down syndrome.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 2:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2008