Calling all Christians, and Atheist... adult content

Flagged TMI because this could get ugly. Sorry ahead of time if it does.

I am a Catholic, I pray regulary and attend church. So this isn't directed at anyone in particular. I couldn't sleep last night, so got up and said some prayers followed by the rosary. Doing that got me thinking...

Christians: How do you know God really exists. (I know it's strictly faith based), but what backs up your beliefs?

Atheist: Why do you not believe God exists? Do you think there would ever be anyone to change your mind about it?

I'm simply curious, not putting anyone down, nor forcing Religion or Beliefs on anyone. Just a question.

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I obviously do believe in God He is a supior being I know he exists because of everything he has done for me in my life. Yes it is based on faith. God is my Father Jesus is my Lord My King and my Redeemer He died for me and that is enough for me to believe in Him and to love him, call me nieve if you want but I have a relationship with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. There is no way any one could ever change my mind about loving God and believing in Him He is an actual being he is alive. He loves all of his creations including the athiests
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 6:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I will down vote if I think the statement is "off". That can mean to me that it's full of crap (and or rude) or just plain against my thinking.

So you're voting down answers just because someone follows a different path than you do.  That screams immaturity and ignorance.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• who's doing all the down votes on this post? I don't think anyone has been disrespecfuly with their answers. Sorry had to chime in. I'm neither Christian nor atheist so I can't really answer:)
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 8:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• NP there have been lots of answers that were not rude, obnoxious or condescending and yet they were still voted down.  It is obviously someone who feels threatened by a different opinion. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm an atheist because that is where empirical evidence and critical thinking have led me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I believe in God, mostly faith based, but I have felt the spirit before. I know he is real.
    bdiane34

Answer by bdiane34 at 6:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• He's answered to many of my prayers and I've felt the spirit. Faith is a strong amazing thing. When I was younger I doubted it but now watching everything he does for me I know he died for me and that one day I will return to him :) good question though. I bet many people wonder it.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 6:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I've always been a critical thinker. I've always questioned the stuff church tried to preach to me. They would say something else, and 10 more questions popped up that no one can answer for me. I see WAY WAY too many inconsistencies within the bible to even think for a second that it's an actual account of a supreme being.
    My heart's path has ALWAYS gone down a different path. I find peace and love amongst living things around me. That includes the natural world; the wind, trees, grass, stars, moon.....all of it is an energy that we all share. THAT is what I feel and know.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Faith is the obvious answer as to why I believe in God. I accept the Bible and it's teachings as true and it's accounting of events as real and as historical as what I learned in school. Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, Jesus, Paul, Peter and all are as real to me as George Washington or Magellan. Can I PROVE in a physical, earthly way the exsistence of God? No. But because I believe in God I see the evidence of his exsistence. I accept the limitations of my human intelligence and wisdom in comparison to God's. And that is where faith becomes the cornerstone of my belief.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Let me explain my point again......I didn't see much responses that were obnoxious or disrespectful..Just stating their own opinions which is why I asked why all the down votes...I guess I wouldn't down vote someone for the respected opinion of a question unless it was in a rude nature. Just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean their response should be voted down. If they're rude, then yes I would.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010