AS a worling parent: Which is more of a pain in the rear- Cancelled school or school delayed by 2 hours.

On icy/snow days.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• It would be school delayed by 2 hours, that would totally take me out of schedule atleast with school cancelled the kids can just go with me or stay home.
    bdiane34

Answer by bdiane34 at 6:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• School delayed by 2 hours is always a pain in the butt even during normal days we have them about every 6 weeks here in my town.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I must admit, I'm lucky. I am a teacher. I do not work in the same district where my son attends, but my district usually cancells faster than my son's district. So if he has a 2 hour delay, I do too and If he is closed, I am too.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm a teacher too in a different district but it's only happened once that they canceled and we didn't. When we have 2 hour delays though I have to still be at work on time so my hubby has to deal with the 2 hour delay days and be late for work. So, delay days are worse for me personally.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Although mine are older now and can get themselves out the door - I used to deal better with the SNOW DAY lol instead of the two hour delay
    gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 7:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Snow day is harder for us. It's easier for me to be late for work than it is for me to scramble to find someone to watch them.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• a delay. I'm glad ours was canceled..a lot around us were on a delay..if ours was on a delay i would have just taken my son to my MIL. They really pissed me off yesterday because they called me and said i needed to come and pick my son up early because they werent having ASP because they wanted to let staff go home in case the roads got bad...so i had to leave work. I wasnt gonna do that crap again today
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• ..Oh and the roads arent even bad. My dh just called me and said there is nothing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Canceled school. With a delay I can still go in and get things done. Plus, I only work three days a week and by the hour. So at least, for me, I can salvage something of my time and pay. Plus I work as a therapist. If a patient misses an appointment then they don't care. But if I miss one (doesn't matter the reason) then I am available when needed. It is not a two way street. If I have a delay I may be able to reschedule and move around my patients to meet the needs of everyone. It is amazing how many people will drive in bad weather. I don't. Ice scares the crap out of me.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I work from home now and my daughter only goes to Autism therapy at the local preschool for a little bit in the mornings, but I used to work outside the home and had to do the whole run her to preschool (different school) and high-tail it to work thing. I think it would be easier to just call it off assuming they give you enough notice. That way you could just stay home or take your child to a back up babysitter if needed. I feel for you all who have to worry about that though! One of the many challenges of a working Mama!
    zaithyr

Answer by zaithyr at 8:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2010