At family get together, how do you open gifts?

Do you all open gifts at the same time? Or do you take turns a certain way? We have 2 adult kids & their spouses & 5 grandkids. The way we been doing it is, we set the 5 grandkids in the floor side by side so as to try and fit them all in the video camera screen and pictures, and we give them their gifts to open at the same time, but it can be hard to keep up with everything going on with 5 kids opening gifts at the same time. And then when they are done, we give the adult kids & spouses their gifts to open, and then they give us our gifts.
But i might do it different this year. I might make the grandkids take turns opening gifts, so we can see them better opening gifts, and get better pictures and videos. Whent hey are all crowded up together, and opening gifts at the same time, they get in each others way especially when they have large gifts to open. How do you do yours? Give me some ideas.

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 6:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• We generally just kind of take turns. Everyone wants to see what everyone else is getting, and their expressions when they open it. so generally, we pull out presents from the tree until everyone has one, then each open our present, then pull more out from under the tree. If somebody has more presents (the kids) than the rest, they open them last.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We let people open from youngest to oldest. My May baby will be first this year!!
    tel4him

Answer by tel4him at 6:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We just let it fly! One of the kids is Santa, and once everything is passed out, everyone rips into theirs. No waiting and watching, just paper and bows everywhere, with oohs, ahhs, and squeals all around.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• traditionally within my family over the yrs it has gone something like this...
    either the grandparent/senior member or the host/ess of the gathering will pass out
    the gifts and we just open as they are given...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• For the adults we each open our gift seperately so we can watch what everyone is getting. We do a secret Santa so everyone only gets one gift. For the kids we try to let the first gift be opened with everyone watching. After that it is kind of a free for all. I think we each take care of our own kids and try to watch our neices and nephews open the gifts we gave them.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• opening gifts in my family is a very private thing everyone does at home before the big get togethers......so it me passing out gifts to my children and watching and recording their reactions......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We usually take turns. My grandpa always loves filming it, lol. Though now that we're getting older (my son is the only real little one anymore), he gets his gifts and we get ours (usually money and candy or something lol).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We take turns handing out gifts and opening them so everyone can be excited for everyone else. My husband and I usually hang back and watch the kids enjoy theirs until they notice we haven't opened any and tell us to open ours so they can see what we got too!
    TigerofMu

Answer by TigerofMu at 1:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010