Stressed Seven Year Old?!?!?

Last night my seven year old was having a hard time with his homework. He broke down and started to cry, which annoyed me cuz is homework really that serious to cry about? After talking with him, he told me he was "too stressed to continue on" I didn't know what to say. So i asked him where he learned that word from? He said his teacher told him that all CHILDREN HAVE STRESS AND SOMETIMES THEY NEED TO FIND STRESS RELIEVERS!!! Why is teacher telling these kids this crap!!! At seven that boy is not damn stressed!!! My question is should i go say something to the teacher? Or just let it go. Next she'll be telling them that if their mommies and daddies take their toys away, it's child abuse!!!

EttaMay

Asked by EttaMay at 7:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No it's not child abuse. Yes, children get "stressed". Yes, children need to be taught healthy ways to relieve stress. Otherwise, in our denial, we're simply raising up the next generation of adults who will not know how to deal with stress well and will result to behaviors like yelling, drinking, drugs, spousal abuse, child abuse, excessive eating, excessive shopping, etc. As parents, it's our job to teach them how to deal with stress. It's our job to teach them to get up, stretch, take a deep breath, go for a walk, drink plenty of water, get adequate sleep, etc ... all things that can help people to deal more effectively with stress.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sure they have stress! They're alive are they not?
    Perhaps the stress is from doing the stuff during a stressful time of year, like when grown ups are stressed . They absorb that if they have no other outlet or even if they do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You could ask the teacher why she told the kids that. I will tell you this, when my son was in second grade he was stressed. It may sound strange for a child that young to be stressed but it does happen. He thought that everything he did had to be perfect. He would cry over homework or if he got anything less than a 100 on a test. We ended up having to send him to counceling for a little while to learn how to deal with it. We also got a great book called "Don't Feed the Monster on Tuesday." It really helped him.

I'm not saying your son is really stressed although I would not just blow it off either. I saw signs when my son was younger it just came to a head in second grade. He is now in 6th grade and while he is still stressed at times he understands how to cope with it much better.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Maybe one student was having a hard day & the teacher simply said that it's normal to be stressed sometimes, which is true. You really don't know the whole story until you ask her. I would not jump to any conclusions, i don't think it's that big of a deal that she said that. I know that my DD gets pretty stressed out with homework. Homework can stress the whole house sometimes. And i agree with the teacher, a good stress reliever does help my DD get her homework done better. If we go out & play real hard after school, she tends to do better at homework. I think most kids need to unwind & play or have some fun before homework. Sometimes she'll ask to take a hot bath before homework & that has helped too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My kids don't always go to bed at a normal time, or eat right. Everything is a stress. They aren't any different than we are I think.
    Got any ideas for that, (?) because it seems we've tried them all a million times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What are the signs of stress in children? I'm gonna google it. It's not that i don't believe him, but his teacher shouldn't be telling them that. and cornflakegirl3 you have a point he does get upset if his answers arent prefect. Thanks for your answer.
    EttaMay

Comment by EttaMay (original poster) at 7:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• First of all, anyone including infants can be stressed. Did you know that in child abuse cases involving infants, in some states they test infant blood and screen it for stress levels? In addition some of those babies have higher stress levels than regular working adults. It is possible for ANYONE to be stressed.

Second, he is a child and he was frustrated about his homework, he showed his frustration by crying. It was a normal reaction. It might not have been serious to you, but being unable to work out a problem was obviously serious to him.

Third, what do you plan to tell the teacher? She was honest with your child.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• tm76 my child is not abused!!! And i know that anyone can be stressed. But he has never said that before so it alarmed me. This teacher is know for over exaggerating. I understand that children may have a hard time on homework from time to time. But hysterically crying? It was alittle over top for me. I talked to him this morning. he said he just didn't wanna do his homework.
    EttaMay

Comment by EttaMay (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sometimes to get through a stressful situation a child just needs a little break, a few encouraging words from Mom and Dad, and a couple of hugs. Understanding is the key.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2010