can your 4 year old read?

i wasnt sure if mine could, but the other day i think she proved that she could. we were walking inside, and had a flyer on the door. it was for some pizza place, anyway she grabbed it and said "Look a little car, and a building." There were pictures of these on the flyer. Then she said "Pizza" and even though it was a pizza flyer, there were no pictures of pizza on it. It just said "PIZZA" in big lettering.

Then not long ago, I was teaching my 2 year old the alphabet by writing each letter individually and asking her what the letter was. My 4 year old decided to help. Just to see, I wrote the word "MOMMY" and she said "Mommy." Same with daddy, baby, and of course her own name, but she's known how to read, write and spell her own name since she was 3.

She goes to school, so at first I thought maybe she just knew what these words looked like but wasn't actually reading them. But the other day with the pizza thing really got me thinking! Sometimes as we read books together she says she doesn't know any of the words, even some of the ones like baby or mommy. I still don't know if she can read some words or just "recognize" some words.

So, can yours read?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my kids were this age I don't believe they could read. For me I never really pushed it and while I read to the all the time I don't know that they could really read at this age. Now they are 13, 11 and 9 and they all love to read and read very well.

It is great that she loves to read. I will tell you this, When my middle child was in Kindergarten we would lookat books and he would never read anything or pick anything out to read. I thought well maybe he isn't that good at it and since I was alwasy reading to him I didn't worry. When he got to 1st grade his teacher said to me "He is the best reader in this class. He reads above grade level." I was like "Really I didn't think he could read." She said he was probably bored with the eartly reader books.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• She cannot read. But she does recognize words and she does association.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter did. She was amazing. Chapter books in kindergarten. My boys had a good understanding of letters, but didn't really read until 5.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My four year old picks out words like that. He even spells certain words or knows what letter it starts with when getting on netflix. I don't think it's true reading but it is beginning reading. Site words come first and these are the sight words that he's learned first.

My other two (girls) did read books at four. The first started reading at 3 because she came to me one day and said "you need to teach me to read. I want to read." So I did. The next then wanted to be like her sister and wanted me to teach her when she just turned 4.

It's good either way.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mine couldn't read at four, but I've heard of lots of kids that were able to. So neat that your daughter has picked it up!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My 6 year old and my 8 year old could read at 4, my 10 year old didn't start reading until 5.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My older son taught himself to read at 4, my younger son read at 5.

Answer by Bmat at 7:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We are teaching him right now. He can read simple words, recognizes his letters,etc.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My older daughter could read at four, my younger daughter could not. Most of the kids in my 4 year old preschool classes would come in knowing a few words, but by the time they were ready to move on to kindergarten most could read and all of them can recognize sight words, it's part of what we learn.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter isn't quite 4, but will be in January. For the past 6 months she has been doing the same thing. I think it's more word recognition as the first reply says, but it sure is a great start =) She's been in preschool for almost a year now and I know that's been helping her a lot. She also recognizes the words pizza, mommy, daddy, granny, baby, cat, dog, Cameron (her baby brother), and just about all of her class mates names.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010