Trying to get organized...FINALLY

I am trying to beat a genetic flaw that results in major organization issues for the women in my family. We have 5 people + dog in a small 2 bedroom townhouse and I am sick of clutter and disorganization. I will get one area straight, but then when I move to the next it all gets trashed again. I cannot have even a 1 day respite from cleaning because the mess grows so fast. I am dealing with a miscarriage right now and just don't have the energy to be cleaning constantly. I just want to spend time with my hubby and our 3 kids and enjoy the family. But we are all crabby because of the clutter. Any advice from anyone would be great! Thanks!!!

LadyKatya

Asked by LadyKatya at 7:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree with tinamatt, I'm sorry about your miscarriage, I've been there and know the pain, so take things slowly, don't be too hard on yourself.

Then I agree, start getting rid of things....I've done it, and it's made my life SOOOO much easier. Anything that's unnecessary, that hasn't been used in months, anything that has been outgrown, let go of things. Years ago, my house was constant clutter and chaos, but there was also a lot of stress in my life. I really think that the chaos in my house was just a symptom of the other stress that I couldn't control, and I felt overwhelmed and couldn't function.

I forced myself to work on it a little at a time. People that knew me then probably wouldn't believe what my house looks like now, and people who know me now might be surprised to know what my house was like then!!! I can find what I need when I need it now & that eliminates stress, plus it's just more comfortable to live here
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Since you're recovering from a miscarriage (and I'm so sorry for your loss ((())) ), just take things a little bit at a time.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Since we can control our reactions, I wonder if you could change your perception of the clutter. Decide that it is going to be there and it is not something you are going to win at this time. It's your problem now, since you are apparently the only one disturbed, otherwise others would help clean up? If no one else is able to help clean up, and, say, the clutter is mainly toys, then reinforce that toys are only allowed in the bedroom, perhaps allowing one toy only per person in the living area to be put away before another toy is brought out- the child can only play with one at a time anyway. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 7:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• This is difficult, I know only to well. The best way to get rid of clutter is to get rid of stuff. We do not need all the things we have. It is time to let lose. Free yourself. Go into each room and get rid of at least 10 things. Do it quickly.
    Enforce the rule that nothing else comes out until things are put away.
    Put things away as you are cooking, cleaning, working. It takes less time and energy to pick up as we go as to leave it. When we leave it and look around it becomes overwelming.
    Use a timer and do 10 minute cleanups. The whole family should participate.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Fly Lady! www.flylady.net
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• sorry about your miscarriage, i too know the pain. i say close your eyes and throw it out. like peter walsh, start 10 minutes a day and fill a trash bag. one room for one month.
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks for your comments. I had a good cry on DH's shoulder and then set some goals for myself. We don't have a lot of extra unneeded stuff. We were homeless for a year and got rid of almost everything and have not replaced most of it since we don't need it. I am just gonna plug away a little at a time and it will get in shape I am sure. "A place for everything and everything in it's place" is going to be my new motto. It is tough to break the habits of generations and to behave in a way that I was not exposed to growing up, but I know that I can do this and not have my poor kids dealing with the same issues when they are adults. Thanks again everyone. :-)
    LadyKatya

Comment by LadyKatya (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2010