how can i get my 6 year old to sit down and pay attention to his teacher ? do he have ADD

He act like he dnt know how to walk he always flipping he just cant sit down for a long time and he does that at home so i know how his teacher feels

shylove28

Asked by shylove28 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ADD and ADHD IMO opinion are way over diagnosed. I know, my doctor wanted to diagnosis all 3 of mine with it. If you set boundaries, and keep to those boundaries by following trough with a time out, he will change. It does take patience, but I would rather that than have my kids drugged up.  And yes this way does work, I have a grandfather, uncle, 2 brothers, several cousins, my mother, my father, my DH, and me that have been diagnosed as either ADD or ADHD and none of us have ever been on meds. 

MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my daughter has severe ADHD and time outs do not work I always follow through with my punishments and don't say anything I don't mean if I say you do this your tv time is gone I mean it we tried grounding her taking things away from her not allowing her to play over at friends house time out and spanking none of it worked and she is so hyper she cannot sleep at night without melatonin 3 mg so just because you set boundaries and run your house tight doesn't mean its gonna work even at school the teachers and principles could not keep her in line but now after taking meds she does what she is told to do has had no problems at home or at school and acts like a normal 6yr old it doesn't make her act drugged up or anything while only your doctor can diagnose adhd I could give you examples on how they act if you would like I do believe only severe cases of ADHD should be treated with meds
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 8:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Talk to the teacher and see if there is a common denominator in which he seems to be worse. My son is almost 6 and does that when he is either bored or trying to get attention. We also notice it more when he eats too much sugar or chocolate. When we change his diet there is a huge difference in his attention span. We also enrolled our child in after school sports like swimming and Basketball at our local YMCA. It gives him an outlet to wear off some excess energy. A diagnosis is often times a lifelong diagnosis and meds are frequently pushed when they are not necessary. In my opinion, unless you find he is dangerous to himself or others, try as many other options as you can first. good luck!
    bmg98

Answer by bmg98 at 2:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2008