How old was your baby when you started working??

I kind of want to get a job. I was wondering how old your kids were when you started working. Plus how did you afford daycare lol. It seems really expensive. I have 2 babys, a son 2 years and my daughter will be 1 in jan. Thanks for your input!!

kristybaby2

Asked by kristybaby2 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• when i only had one child & was a single mom i started working when she was 9 months old. she went to a really expensive daycare but it was all that was in my area. i was living with my parents and just working and going to school part time. i had a lot of help from my parents with school costs. my job basically paid for her daycare and i was able to put a little away in savings and pay for some of her needs. now i sah with my kids and i have 3 now under 5 years of age, so ill have to wait til the middle one atleast is in school! cause there's no way i can afford daycare for 3 lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• actually sorry thats not correct. she was 2 months old now that i think about it! but i worked the night shift and left her home with my parents til she was 9 months then worked the day shift and had to put her in daycare.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my oldest was born I had been working so I went back when he was 12 weeks old. I was able to work from home when he was 8 weeks old. Then with my second child I went back to work when he was 12 weeks old. Daycare was $216.00 per week for 4 days a week 9 hours a day. When I became pregnant with my 3rd child it didn't make sense for me to work anymore because I had 3 children under the age of 5 and I would have been working for like $3.00 and hour after paying daycare.

So I became a SAHM and have been one ever since.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never stopped, my DH stopped working when he was 3 and has stayed home with him ever since.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I went back to work when my dtr was 7 weeks old. With the next baby **working on that** I'm going to be a sahm since for one child its $125/week. Doesn't make sense to work and only make $3/hr. That's my arguement shhh! Lol
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• With both of my older kids (now 13 & 11), I went back to work when they were 6 weeks old. I had a really good job, daycare was expensive but affordable for me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• She was 4 & began pre-k. I worked only 30 hours a week though. Just enough time to work while she is in school & i had the afternoons off.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I never stop working. My son was 3.5 months old when I left maternity leave and went back to school. I am a teacher. I planned my pregnancy around summer break. I had him in May, went back to work in Sept. I have never had to pay for daycare. My Mil watched him until he went to preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I was already working when I had both of my kids, so my oldest was 6 weeks when I went back to work and my youngest was 8 weeks. So, I already had a good job and was able to afford daycare.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I started going to school when the first was 10 months old and again when the second was 6 weeks old. I had my daycare subsidized so I paid about 30 a week.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010