My 3 year old is terrorizing me, when will it stop!

Almost to the day, when my son turned 3 he turned into a totally different kid. He purposefully breaks EVERYTHING. Dishes, toys, decorations around the house, EVERYTHING! Today alone, he has tore stuffing out of our new couch, climbed up his dresser to reach the shelf above and broke all of his safari toys (that are for decoration), shattered his porcelain pig dishware, and tore the mattress of his bed. I'm going NUTS. I can't control him. All it takes is for me to spend 10 minutes feeding my 6 month old baby, and he has broken something. He knows it's wrong, he tried to hide it. When my husband is home, he spanks him. It doesn't matter, he will cry and immediately go into another room and tear something apart. I don't understand it. I'm sweet to my son. i play with him, give him love, feed, clothe, bathe him. I don't know why he's being this bad. Please someone tell me this is a phase and it will stop. Another thing, he REFUSES to use the potty. He purposefully pees on his toys. When he's wearing a diaper, he takes it off to pee on the floor. It's getting so bad, I am distraught and depressed during his rein of terror. I mother shouldn't feel that way because of her child. Someone, ANYONE, HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ((((((HUGS)))))))))) It all shall pass. It is a nice thought anyway, but I cannot make any promises.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• join the club mine has been that way since he learned to crawl
    BrandiH.

Answer by BrandiH. at 9:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have a 3 1/2 yo and about the time my youngest was 6 mo he also started acting out. He mostly yelled at us, would throw toys, and refused to eat. It didn't matter what we did; spankings, time out, loss of privileges, as soon as the baby was up and getting any sort of attention at all he would go bonkers. I started setting aside some special time and enlisted the help of a friend so we could have a special outing or lunch or even just running errands together. Just the two of us. We started doing more play dates. I also got him more involved in helping with the baby. he would help give her baths, and i let him pick out her outfit everyday, he would pick out her toys for the diaper bag when we were going somewhere. and after a few weeks his behavior changed dramatically. no more yelling, he started eating regularly again he was sweeter to the baby. I think he was just feeling like he had lost his place. Hope this helps. GL!
    neeterm

Answer by neeterm at 9:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Time for counseling to find out why? ((((HUGS))))
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree with pinkdragon36--- I think counseling would be a very good idea!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Terrible threes.

It's a phase and it'll pass... but yeah, you'll go a lil bonkers until it does and ya won't be the same... ;) I'm kidding. It'll pass. Just make sure he's punished for the bad behavior so he doesn't grow up thinking it's okay.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• YOU are the PARENT. DISCIPLINE the kid and stop letting him rule the roost! Give him consequences for his bad behavior and he'll stop - but if you just deal with it and let him keep going he'll just keep getting worse and worse. Nip it in the bud NOW.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Talk to your pediatrician asap!
    eesmommy

Answer by eesmommy at 1:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• In about 20 years? Nah, as the others say - it should pass, if not - seek help.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• wow, my kid is 3 and the only thing he breaks is on complete accident, and then he freaks out cuz he knows he's in trouble.

stop with the warnings. just do it. every time he does something, put him in time out. 3 minutes,. every time he gets out, the time starts over. every time he talks or laughs while in time out, the time starts over. it'll probly feel like he's in there all day, but you're being consistant. or if you spank, spank every single time he does something. every time. don't even warn him. just get behind him, hold his arm so he doesn't fall, and pop his butt. he in pull ups? yank 'em down and get him bare bottom. or get his thigh.

make sure your and your dh are consistant, and also make sure you are on the same page. judging by your post, your dh does the spanking. it won't work if he's the only one. you gotta do it too. even if it does hurt your heart. it'll be worth it in the end. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010