Toddler won't eat

Up until 2 weeks ago my 14 month old had a super healthy appetite. He ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks. He didn't refuse anything.

Lately for the past 2 weeks he won't eat anything but cereal and oatmeal before daycare and then daycare lunch. I try to feed him dinner and he turns his head and closes his mouth and says nuh nuh. I try to let him feed himself and he doesn't want to. I make dinner for him everynight and end up getting rid of it because he won't eat.

Should I worry?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A child won't starve himself, so as long as you keep offering foods he should be okay. He'll eat when he's hungry enough, and as long as he's not losing weight or acting like he's malnourished you don't need to worry.

As for Mommy, lol, I've always heard to make things that won't kill you to throw out - meaning if you know he's being picky don't put hours into cooking something he may not eat, if you offer him simple things you didn't have to slave over you won't be as frustrated when it goes in the trash. Not that I'm saying offer your kid junk, but something simple like chopped up fruit or something, rather than something extremely complex that you had to put a lot of effort into usually isn't such a disappointment to have to toss. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• na hes just going through a stage. my oldest went through a lot of food stages.. first no meat at all for almost 9 months, then no fruit.. then no brown things... kids are weird. but they wont starve.. if your worried try pedia=sure.. its got tons of vitamans and stuff in it for the picky stages
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my 24 month old is the same way and has been for months. she wont eat anything for dinner unless its spaghetti, lasagna, or something along those lines i guess she only prefers italian food for dinner lol. anyway i dont worry because she eats good at breakfast & lunch and snacktimes. i might give her a healthy snack if she refuses dinner just because shes too young to reason with on the whole "go to bed hungry then" thing. ive tried everything you do, let her feed herself and stuff and she still won't half the time. she hasn't lost any weight or anything from it and still eats good during the day. so i wouldnt worry unless he starts to lose weight and has a decreased appetite throughout the day as well.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Think of how much he eats over the course of a week or a month. If he is active and playing and having enough wet/dirthy diapers then he is fine. My daughter who is 18 months goes through stages like this. Its normal and if your concerned call his peditrician I am sure they will tell you the same thing....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 12:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• smoothies!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010