black poop (TMI)

My toddler had very black poop this morning that was sticky. He is 14 months old. What can cause this. The only thing different he had was grape juice. Any ideas?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would guess it's the grape juice but see what the doc says. Who knew mom's would be so into poop! I never thought I would/could notice so much about it! lol
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Um... I'm not a Doctor but I know black poop is a sign of blood. BUT, I've heard of newborns passing black tar like poop... not sure if they should be passing it at your kids age.
    I think you should call the Dr
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• A good possibility would be the grape juice, or possibly too much iron? Wouldn't hurt to call the dr.
    monkiesbugs

Answer by monkiesbugs at 9:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• He just had grape juice for the first time. But your right I ll give the doc a call. Thanks
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's probably the grape juice. Is it tarry and sticky? Or just black?
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Like others have said probably the grape juice. Sometimes after I give my daughter blueberries they turn her poo blue. Call the peditrician for peace of mind.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 12:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mine was doing that too. Took her to hospital and everything was ok. Does not hurt to check. Turns out it was her antibiotics causing this and the fact that she ate alot of oreo cookies lol eww.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2010