Why do we allow this lunacy?

Laurence and his law degree can go suck an egg.I am so sick of these loons deminishing the fact that something is ILLEGAL by this word play bs.An illegal being called an illegal immigrant ought to offend them and if they weren't here illegaly they wouldn't have to worry about it!

http://www.cultureandmediainstitute.org/articles/2010/20101214152557.aspx

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 9:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have written several times in CM about how Liberals try to change people's ideas about an issue by changing the term by which it is called. Global warming is now global change, my goodness just look around and you will see all kinds of PC changes. PC is just another way to achieve that goal of changing the thoughts and popularity of an issue and or believe. They have in the past been very skilled and deceitful in this propagandist use of label changing BUT I believe most of us are on to them now and we should start to refuse the use of PC changing of terms!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Good gosh, we are going to PC ourselves to death. How stupid and what a waste of time. If I run a red light, I know that what I did was illegal and I'm woman enough to admit it. Why is that so hard for people to grasp? Most of the illegal immigrants know that what they have done is broken a law. Or do they normally travel to other countries while running across borders in the middle of the night, in the middle of the desert - all while assuming that this is the normal way to travel? BS.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Are you kidding me?!?! It's illegal. Innocent until proven guilty? If you don't have papers, you're not innocent - you're illegal. Truly, I'm floored.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It is the progressive means of brainwashing the stupid.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Pretty amazing. They want journalists to use words that don't sound as incriminating. To me this is like calling a child molester a child lover. This is ridiculous.
    Seeing as most Latinos in the U.S. are not illegal immigrants – and since the term has no racial or ethnic connotation – it’s hard to see how it would cause offense to this group. In fact, the only people who should really be put off by the term are illegal immigrants themselves (or their advocates), who don’t believe unlawful residency in the U.S. should be a crime.

Laurence argues that the terms “undocumented immigrant” or “undocumented worker” should replace “illegal immigrant,” because the U.S. legal system presumes that one is innocent until proven guilty
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It allows them to hide in plain sight because now they can't be "identified". Actually, if you think about it, only they know they are illegal when standing in a group. It is their guilty conscience that makes them squirm when the term is used. I don't automatically assume that a foreigner is illegal until the person gives me reason to wonder. And, all immigrants aren't Hispanic...........just saying.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't automatically assume that a foreigner is illegal until the person gives me reason to wonder. And, all immigrants aren't Hispanic...........just saying. Answer by jesse123456

^^^Exactly^^^^    clapping

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm not to happy with the use of the word 'immigrant' being used in conjunction with 'illegal' ~ it is disingenuous at best. Immigrant implies that a person wishes to enter a new country with the intent of becoming a citizen, not a leech, a thief, or a freeloader. Immigrants don't come here intending to evade taxes, profit from social programs, or deliberately hide from the process that makes them a legal citizen ~ with all of the benefits and responsibilities that come with citizenship.

How about trespasser? Can we call them that?

Leech is shorter, but it's demeaning to leeches.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Why do we allow this lunacy?

Because the lunatics are running the asylum (for now).

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 4:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I agree goodwitch. If one sees a term that is obviously meant to 'soften' the actual definition or meaning than everyone that disagrees or understands what is happening needs to refuse to play along. Use the term that applies, and tell those who don't like it that they SHOULDN'T like it because it's wrong. Instead of wasting their breath (and everyone elses' time) trying to make a bad thing acceptable, try dealing with the problem.

There are a lot of times that the truth is a painful thing, but it becomes a lot more painful if people ignore it or refuse to deal with it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010