What is a free way or the easiest way to communicate with my husband in Afghanistan by phone?

My husband is thinking about getting a phone that requires minutes in Afghanistan...I know i can purchase the calling card at Affes and its reloadable ....Those minutes are expensive and will eventually add up ...is there anyone that knows a free way for me to call him or for him to call me or at least a less expensive way ....Does anyone have a husband in Afghanistan that has this phone ?.....Im not always home to do skype or webcam ...and i still want to be able to contact him and he contact me ...
thanks
Laspouse

Laspouse

Asked by Laspouse at 9:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• skype, tell him to take his laptop. That is how others stay in touch daily when they go over there

Answer by admckenzie at 9:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I second Skype.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• you can do skype without a cam. Do you not have a mic? When my best friend's husband did his tour in Korea, they got a phone from here -
    http://www.telestial.com/
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Have you looked into a Nextel phone with the radio on it. My husband travels out of the country often and that's what we do. Also shop around on the phone cards...you can get some really good rates. I usually get mine from www.cloncom.com (not sure if they cover Afghanistan though)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• it's gonna be expensive if you want to talk to him every day. My husband recently came home from afg and he had to buy the disposable phone because his barracks were so far away from the USO, it was more convenient to buy the phone. Where he was the internet was pretty crappy too, so don't count on skype for all your communication. I know how hard it is to go for a week or two and not hear anything =( he'll be home before you know it
    BellasMom185

Answer by BellasMom185 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Dh used Skype when he did a tour in a Iraq to call me from his laptop.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• it also depends on his mos if he can contact you frequently or not. If he's a "fobbit" chances are you'll hear from him alot. If he's outside the wire you probably won't. My husband was in the second category, and if I heard from him every other day I was lucky.
    BellasMom185

Answer by BellasMom185 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yikes, did some of you not read the question?!

OP - can you send him regular phone cards (or just the codes) so he can call you from a landline to whatever of your phones he wants? Would that be cheaper than a cell, or whatever it is he's looking at getting? I know when my brother was in Iraq we depended on MSN messenger online, and he'd set up a weekly phone call from a landline there using phone cards we sent him or that he was given there - it was just the easiest & cheapest for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Have you looked in to sending him a Magicjack for the computer? My husband worked in Kuwait, and before he went over there, he bought a magicjack and a regular corded house phone. On the few days that I couldn't be home to skype with him, he could call my cell phone from the magic jack, for free. You just have to purchase the usb thing that plugs into your computer, and a phone, I think the MJ itself was like $45-50. It worked for us in Kuwait, and it's free to call to America since it was purchased here. I don't know how well it would work in Afghanistan, but it's an idea! :)
    MacyKaysMommy

Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 10:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• use the computer phone..... there is this site where you can call any wher ein the world for free for 5 minn after the 5 min all you do is hang out and call back and its still free for 5 more min lol.. ill ask my friend the name of the site and get back to you lol
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2010