Why do kids say "Whatever!"

What are they really saying? Plz keep it clean. Thank you

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 10:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's just a term of frustration

Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• For the same reason adults say it. Because it's the easiest way to end the conversation without having to actually agree or argue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• lol my 4 year old says it but not in a rude way. if she's trying to say something and can't figure out how to word it she'll just shrug, lift up her hands and say "well, whatever" and laugh at herself. its kinda cute actually. but most people mean "i dont care" or something along the lines when they say it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My stepson does it when he's being told smtg he doesn't like. For example, when he's told to do his chores or when he's in trouble for smtg he did. He does get into more trouble when he says whatever, because he always gets an attitude with it.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It is their way of giving you a response that is dismissive. They don't have to put any thought into this answer. It is also a way to put up a wall to show they don't have any hurt feelings in some situations.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's a term that sometimes expresses anger or frustration. Just like pp said, it's a way of ending a conversation without agreeing or wanting to do what is asked of them, yet reluctantly agreeing to it while letting you know they arent happy. Or that is what I think, anyhow.
    MacyKaysMommy

Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I say "whatever!" It means, ok, I'm done, just stop talking now, I agree just to make you stop speaking, etc.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My step-son says it when he doesn't want to listen, I just make him stand in front of me looking me in the eyes until he's ready to listen to what I have to say. My daughter and son say it when they are trying to tell me something and they can't get the words out right. It's either 'whatever' or 'nevermind'.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would think it depends on what they are responding to. Ultimately, in my opinion it's a lazy way to say "I don't care" (most of the time anyway).
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my 8 yr old says it with total ATTITUDE...usuallly ends up with him in his room...
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010