Is it normal to want to stop communicating with ppl when someone u love dies?

My sister died. All of a sudden, I don't want to have anything to do with her children, other siblings, ppl who I haven't heard from since last Christmas. I don't even want to leave the house.... In fact, I haven't...

I'm at a loss for words, I space out, sleep to much...don't know what to do? Is this normal?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 10:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes it is normal
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Everyone grieves differently. What you're experiencing is a completely normal part of the grieving process.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Not sure about it being normal but it happened in my family too :(
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i'm sorry for your loss honey! It is normal. her children and your family remind you of her/memories of her and you just cant face that right now.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Greif is followed by many emotions.. sadness, anger, hate, fear ect. Its ok but remember your family needs you... My dad died on christmas day in 94 still feels like yester and Christmas is sooo hard.. But im trying to be as jolly as possibal for my hubby and my two year old.. You are in my prayers I pray that your greif will not pain you so badly I pray that you will be able to see the people you loves againa nd I pray your will feel better. Im sos orry for your loss if you ever need to talk Im here jus messege me
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am sorry for your loss. But I think it is normal. When I lost my son I shut out the world. I became really depressed, never wanted to talk to anyone including my DH, never went anywhere and never wanted to, but it almost cost me my marriage. After almost a year of this I finally scheduled an appointment with a psychologist because my DH suggested it. It did help to talk to someone about what was going on with me without the feeling of being judged.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think it's normal for some people. When I lost my best friend two years ago all I wanted to do was stay in bed. I was fortunate that I had my children and husband that needed me, I made myself go about my normal routine for them. It helps to get busy. I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Loss can do all kinds of things to a person. One of those things is depression and from what you're describing I think you are there. That is not necessarily a bad thing. You need time to grieve (which is a process most people don't seem to understand). You take your time and take it one step at a time. Things will get better in time.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's pretty normal. Everyone grieves different but goes through the same basic pattern.
    1) Denial
    2) Anger/ Resentment
    3) Depression
    4) Bargaining and
    5)Acceptance....

You seem to be in the depression stage and "this could be a quiet, withdrawn time as you soak in the situation." It just takes time. You can't rush it and you have to do what feels right. I wish you the best!
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 10:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You are in the grieving process and you seem to be depressed. How long has it been? There are grief groups that are very helpful. Contact your local hospital and funeral homes, they can put you in touch with a group that will help you get through this.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2010