Glee, 16 and pregnant etc.

Have you noticed these shows have no S rating at the beginning? So parents can be aware of sexual content? Conversely, do you think as a parent of teens who watch these shows, it is incumbent upon you to vigorously monitor your teens media consumption? I am 44 and from a generation where sex was still relatively thought to be something special. You did not see the blatant sexual content you see today...it was more of an implication back in my day...at least when it came to the media.  Do you think these shows are "desensitising girls to the act of sex? Objectifying them, or making sex into somewhat of a way to obtain status among social groups? Do you think shows like 16 and pregnant should be on the air?  If you watch it...Why? What do you do to instill sexual morality in your teen.  Your thoughts???

salexander

Asked by salexander at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do think that, without parental input and guidance, shows like 16 and Pregnant can make sex and teen pregnancy seem a lot easier and fun and better than it really is. My DD and I have watched this show together a few times and discussed it. It can be very educational if it's handled correctly because it's a lot better to learn from someone else's mistakes (esp. when the stakes are so high). But to just sit and watch like a popcorn flick, yeah, the show could easily send the wrong message.

While lots of shows have dealt with sex, in the past several years, sex is being treated more and more casually, esp. on shows that cater to the teen audience. I watched a few eps. of Glee and wasn't impressed. It's not a show I let my children watch.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't think we need ratings on prime time.

I wouldn't let my 9 year old daughter watch a new show without me the first few times...I don't shelter her so her seeing it once with me there wouldn't upset me. If I found it inapprioate, I would let her know, this show is not for you. She is really good about those things and when she is told its for older kids or adults, she doesn't push..my 5 yr old son on the other hand thinks he is a grown a$$ man....

No rating system is better than MOM

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• it was more of an implication back in my day

Actually, it's more selective memory. I'm not that much younger than you. We still had afterschool specials, episodes of Family and Eight is Enough and even Little House that dealt with sex. Not to mention all the things they got away with in Aaron Spelling's other shows in the 70's and 80's. If we're going to insist on parental warnings, they should be consistent across the board and include shows like Glee and 16&P. But, with that said, I doubt many of the girls we went to school with who got pregnant, did so because of Charlie's Angels.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, I monitor everything my children watch, that is called being a responsible parent and not being asleep at the wheel!

I do think these shows are entertaining, but they are definitely taking our society and teen girls in the wrong, wrong, wrong direction!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Parents should turn the TV off if they don't like something on TV. That is what my parents did when I was a kid. I am a bit older than you and remember my mom getting mad at us for watching Bewitched she hated that they were always smoking, drinking and how sexist the men were. The world isn't that different than when we were kids actually better for many. The TV only has as much influence and power over children as a parent lets it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't think it is selective memory at all. I am aware of shows like Dallas etc. But they did not contain 14 yr olds in plaid skirts being slammed against lockers and ravaged right on the screen. It is worse today no doubt in my mind.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• In addition, I am not a twit. This is not about the tv having power over me or my kids. I am the parent and I have the ultimate say. I do monitor what they see. The question IS, do you think that shows like 16 and pregnant glorify the situation, or educate, or something else?
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010