16 and Pregnant, Glee etc. PIOG

Have you noticed these shows have no S rating at the beginning? So parents can be aware of sexual content? Conversely, do you think as a parent of teens who watch these shows, it is incumbent upon you to vigorously monitor your teens media consumption? I am 44 and from a generation where sex was still relatively thought to be something special. You did not see the blatant sexual content you see today...it was more of an implication back in my day...at least when it came to the media. Do you think these shows are "desensitising girls to the act of sex? Objectifying them, or making sex into somewhat of a way to obtain status among social groups? Do you think shows like 16 and pregnant should be on the air? If you watch it...Why? What do you do to instill sexual morality in your teen. Your thoughts???

salexander

Asked by salexander at 10:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have watched 16 and pregnant a few times, but really I lived it so I understand what these girls are going through. I know my older daughter has seen a few of the episodes, and to me she's getting a life lesson in the hardships that teen sex causes. I was lucky - my husband is the father of both of my kids and even though we married in high school we are still together. Most relationships are not like this. I know it and so does she. I can't comment on Glee, I've never watched it, but I think the reality of 16 and Pregnant does a good thing in showing girls the real life of having a baby before you are ready.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have not seen Glee, we watch mostly History, Animal Planet and Discovery at our house these days. However we have watched shows like Secret Life of a Teenager and 16 and Pregnant. Going through pregnancy as a teen, I can relate to the girls and understand how hard it is at that age to make those decisions and the consequences of them. I use shows like this to have even more conversations with my two boys about sex and relationships. I think its good to use them as a teaching tool, I also think kids are much smarter than we might give them credit for, I would think most aren't going to see shows like this and assume its perfectly okay to just run out and get pregnant, however I also think that as parents we have a responsbility to talk about these things with our children to guide them to make the good decisions. I don't have daughters but I teach my boys how to respect girls and the impact of sex in a relationship
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Um, you know...back when we were teens (I am your age) sex wasn't seen as THAT special thanks to the sexual revolution of the 70's. TV shows haven't corrupted our youth, lack of supervision and parents who don't want to parent have done that. Teens and sex isn't a new thing. My mom was a teen in the mid 60's and there were quite a few girls who everyone knew to be fast, same when my grandmothers were teens in the 40's. There were 13-14yo girls who were dancing in burlesque shows in the 20's, etc.. My maternal grandmother was dancing burlesque at 15 (she was born in 1928) and was sexually active as well and my dad's paternal grandmother was a never married woman who had 5 children by 4 father's, she was born in 1902. So, obviously some of the same issues were still around. The world wasn't more pure...we just didn't have the media exposure we do now.
    Anonymous

• Humans are sexual beings,always have been. The only difference now is how it's spoken about on TV.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well, the show is 16 AND PREGNANT, one would assume there would be some mention of sex but it's not as if they show the teens doing it or anything. I really don't think it is bad to watch this show BUT I wish they would add about 10 mins of the end to show like 6 months later where 75% of the dad's would have taken off by then. I know some are not around at the birth but most of them are and I think that is what make teens think that it is fun to get pregnant, cuase at least their boyfriend would stay with them forever.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I really don't think 16 and preg is that bad because a majority of the girls are crying throughout the show because they are so miserable! Other shows have constant sexual content because a majority of america is perverse and that's what they like to see! You can't monitor it...and just remember that teens are seeing the same stuff at school first hand!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 1:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010