Why does my 2 year old pee the second his underwear goes on but not when he is naked?

We have been potty training my 22 month old for the past two months. He is good about going on the potty, both #1 and #2 (more or less), but only gets up and goes regularly if he is naked. The second his underwear goes on, he pees in them. Even when he pees, then puts on underwear, he somehow finds a few drops to wet his underwear. For this reason it is very rare that we can take him out in just underwear. We even take his potty out with us and sit him on it every 15 minutes. Even if he does go, it's wet underwear a minute later. I don't know why he feels the need to pee in them the second they go on. He understands where he needs to pee pee, but continues with this behavior. Any ideas on what we can do so he stops peeing in his underwear? Also, I should mention that he doesn't mind if they are wet, which adds to the problem. And yes, he is ready. He does very well with the potty if he doesn't have shorts on. He doesn't even wet the bed during nap time (sleeping naked).

COgle3

Asked by COgle3 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just got through the exact same thing! Gus would run around the house with no undies on and go fine. The undies feel secure like a diaper and he thinks it's fine to go in them. It's still early. So don't fret, he sounds like he's doing really good actually. My son is three and he finally mastered this about a week or two ago. Just keep his pants off at home and throw a long t shirt on him. He'll do it when he's ready! Good luck!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• even though underpants are thin, he might be thinking it's a thin diaper since he's worn one till now.Just stay consistant and keep reminding him he's a big boy wearing big kid underpants, big kids go pee pee and poo poo in the potty. If the underwear has a character on it, you could say "dont get ___ wet! he'd be sad". or something like that.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yeah my son does the same thing. He will go when wearing undies cuz I think he thinks its a diaper. It will take some time to train them to wear undies. Don't give up momma! You sound like you are doing great!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks yall! I appreciate the support. It's nice to know that other moms are having the same issue. My son is literally the first boy in our entire family, so no one has any advice on how to potty train a boy. I think he's doing great and hopefully, he will have it down a little more before his sister gets here at the end of next month. Fingers crossed for only one in diapers!
    COgle3

Comment by COgle3 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My friend potty trained her son like this. She has to re-train him b/c he would do the exact same thing. Hopefully you will not have to do that. Here is a bump...my son potty trained himself.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would stop potting training for a couple of weeks and then try again, he might just not be ready.
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010