why is one twin suddenly becoming agressive toward the other ?

Twin girls 2 1/2 years old. Over the past few days one of them has suddenly started pulling clumps of hair out of her sisters hair and scratching and biting her sister. Prior to this they have had some fighting, not out of the realm of normal for multiples, until now. They are in pre-school 3 days a week. Typically happy girls. Is this normal and how can I handle it, to stop them? They normally love each other and share everything including their room.

SWINGDANCR

Asked by SWINGDANCR at 10:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is the age where kids start realizing they have total control of their will & really practice that at this age. It's normal for kids to get jealous at times, but she probably doesn't have a clue why she would even feel the urge to do that. I wouldn't really know what to do, i only have one child. But, whatever my choice of discipline is, i would stick with it. How have you been disciplining her?

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Oh man, I have twins and when they were babies they did the same thing. Sometimes I sent one to my parents house and kept one home or my husband took one with him for errands and I took one with me. A little time apart usually helped when they were being so mean to each other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• the one is trying to show the other that they are the dominet one, my twin boys did the same thing, and they still fight but i guess they are boys, one might also be thinking that the other one is getting more attention (even if this is not true) so she will act out to get the negetive attention. hope things get better. good luck
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• check diet
    LAKE dyes, are artifical food dyes that CAN make kids (and adults) aggressive)
    red 40, yellow 5, blue 1 = are the most common
    it is not the sugar in candy IT IS THESE DYES

google it
    red 40
    or
    LAKE dyes
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have identical twin boys. It's human nature to find a pecking order. Twins are truly each other's best friend and each other's worst enemy. Although for the most part twins are happy in each other's company, they have times when they need their own space, as well. My boys alternated who was the "bully" fairly regularly. When they started picking on each other, I would separate them in 2 different rooms to do something on thier own and for a cooling off period. If they don't like being separated, let them know they can play together again when they think they can do it nicely and get along. You have to treat it like any other sibling rivalry. Time out sessions worked pretty well with us.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I can speak from experience. I am a twin and when I started getting this way with my brother it was because I felt like I wasn't getting as much attention as he was.
    mary_whtsn

Answer by mary_whtsn at 12:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010