A new survey of American voters shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed than consumers of news from other sources.

Yet another study has been released proving that watching Fox News is detrimental to your intelligence. World Public Opinion, a project managed by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, conducted a survey of American voters that shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed than consumers of news from other sources. What’s more, the study shows that greater exposure to Fox News increases misinformation.

So the more you watch, the less you know. Or to be precise, the more you think you know that is actually false. This study corroborates a previous PIPA study that focused on the Iraq war with similar results. And there was an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll that demonstrated the break with reality on the part of Fox viewers with regard to health care. The body of evidence that Fox News is nothing but a propaganda machine dedicated to lies is growing by the day.

In eight of the nine questions below, Fox News placed first in the percentage of those who were misinformed (they placed second in the question on TARP). That’s a pretty high batting average for journalistic fraud. Here is a list of what Fox News viewers believe that just ain't so:

* 91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
* 72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
* 72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
* 60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
* 49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
* 63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
* 56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
* 38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
* 63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)

Fox News is deliberately misinforming its viewers and it is doing so for a reason. Every issue above is one in which the Republican Party had a vested interest. The GOP benefited from the ignorance that Fox News helped to proliferate. The results were apparent in the election last month as voters based their decisions on demonstrably false information fed to them by Fox News.

By the way, the rest of the media was not blameless. CNN and the broadcast network news operations fared only slightly better in many cases. Even MSNBC, which had the best record of accurately informing viewers, has a ways to go before it can brag about it.

The conclusions in this study need to be disseminated as broadly as possible. Fox’s competitors need to report these results and produce ad campaigns featuring them. Newspapers and magazines need to publish the study across the country. This is big news and it is critical that the nation be advised that a major news enterprise is poisoning their minds.

This is not an isolated review of Fox’s performance. It has been corroborated time and time again. The fact that Fox News is so blatantly dishonest, and the effects of that dishonesty have become ingrained in an electorate that has been been purposefully deceived, needs to be made known to every American. Our democracy cannot function if voters are making choices based on lies. We have the evidence that Fox is tilting the scales and we must now make certain its corporate owners do not get away with it.

Study Confirms Fox News Makes You Stupid

This sounds about right to me. What do you think?

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw this poll too but I saw it on Daily Kos and I emailed it to some ppl and posted it on my facebook. I dare not post it here because I knew this would happen, or way way worse.

The ppl who do watch Faux news and are so defending it to the bone are the ones that are misinformed but when you tell them they are misinformed they just scream "NO IM NOT, IM RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG AND FAUX NEWS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!" and blah blah blah so just ignore him :)

and the whole Libs are on EIC or taxpayer money is just complete bullshit and completely stop being said. Theres plenty of conservative republicans on welfare too.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 8:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You're doing yourself a grave disservice here at best (and at worst, embarrassing yourself).  Rather than rely on a smear piece on alternet, you'd be better served to read the actual study including the questions as they were really written, rather than how they were "interpreted" for you by AlterNet

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_quaire.pdf

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Oh dear Lord..

LMAO what a load of shit
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When it said that MSNBC has the best record of accurately reporting the news, I knew it was a joke.

I fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• One thing I'm curious about is whether there was a differentiation between the NEWS operation and the talk show side, which really isn't news. It's opinion bordering on entertainment, and a lot of people don't know the difference.

I actually agree with this somewhat. . Would be curious to see the breakdown of MSNBC viewers. Op, next time focus on the research and not liberal interpretation ~ liberal <----- lol. From the poll Data-A web-enabled poll of 848 by liberal Think tank, Calvert Foundation. Thanks for the " share". I prefer Gallup, Pew, etc...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Lol is all I can come up with. I think this shows how stupid you are for buying into that shit
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My point is the numbers you posted are nothing like the actual numbers in the poll. They're taking stats like 75% of Dems and 73% of Pubs said A, while 14% of Dems and 16% of Pubs said B, and then ignoring the stats for A, while making a huge deal of the difference between Dems and Pubs in category B.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• OP... did you REALLY come on here to call every mom on this site that watches Fox News... STUPID?? I don't think you thought this through, and if you did, then you deserve what you get. I watch Fox news, not exclusively, but I do watch it. If you're presuming to call me stupid, because of where I choose to get my information..and it doesn't support YOUR views on a topic... TOO BAD. Not everyone sees things the way you do, now put on your big girl pants and get over it!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There are to many variable here to even speculate if any of this is true but I watch several of Fox's shows and I consider myself very informed. I always check what I hear anyway. Nothing like doing your own research. What you can find out by watching FOX is how biased people are who don't watch it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You did not write the words, but you are hiding behind them now, making excuses of "Gee, don't get upset with me...I didn't write it after all.".....Let's be honest. You made it personal and a little low belt. Answer by spottedpony an hour ago
    -----------------------
    ^^^ That's exactly what I was going to say, OP. That's why it feels like you called people stupid... because the article says, boldly, "Study Confirms Fox News Makes You Stupid" and you said "This sounds about right to me. What do you think?"
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010