what do you make for dinner when you're pressed for time?

tonight my daughter is having a school Christmas play and we need to be there by 6:30, so we need to leave by 6:15 and start getting ready around quarter to six. i have 3 kids so getting them all ready is a mission in itself! the play starts at 7 so we can't wait til after the play to eat. i dont really want to pick up dinner, we're kind of broke til tomorrow. i dont have enough bread til tomorrow either. i was going to make home-made pizza but i might not have the time to dedicate to it. perhaps ill just make spaghetti and be done with it! what do you make when you're in a rush?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• This is why I always have jar sauce in the cupboard, mozzarella in the fridge, and a package or two of store brand english muffins in the freezer. Home-made english muffin pizza's are my "in a pinch for time" fall-back-on dinner =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 11:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Mac & Cheese, hot dogs and broccoli, it is my son's favorite and it doesn't take long to make.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• tuna noodles, it's just caned tuna, egg noodles and cream of mushroom.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Hot ham and cheese sandwiches or mac and cheese
    tracimed

Answer by tracimed at 11:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I eat left overs or have sandwhiches.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If I know ahead of time that we're going to have a night like that, I cook extra a couple of nights before and we have leftovers. And you just reminded me that we have Christmas program practice tonight :S and no time to take my own advice! Eek!
    Anonymous

• I usually plan better, but tonight girl scout caroling came up and we have had a busy week so tonight it is spaghetti and frozen meatballs and garlic cheese bread. Or I make chicken noddle hotdish, two packs of lipton chicken noodles and sauce and a can of chicken and a can of peas and a can of green beans in the microwave we had that monday with bread and fruit and on wed over baked potatoes. OR boxes scalloped potatoes with broc and califlower and ham in the microwave OR OR my DD(10) has HH or tuna helper waiting for me when I get home from work
    Anonymous

• spaghetti is my stand by or hotdogs and mac and cheese.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 1:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I defrost some tilapia (or any fish) and season it with Old Bay, EVOO, and fresh lemon juice. Stick it in the broiler for 10 minutes. While that is going I steam some frozen veggies.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It depends on what ingredients I have available.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010