Don't you think God favors those who..

live their lives,thank Him for what they have,ask only for guidance and strength for THEMSELVES,as to those that are constantly praying for this person and that person,most of whom they don't even know,and running around trying to convince everyone else that THEIR way is the ONLY way?
My beliefs are that everything that happens is pretty much fate. There's not much leeway when it comes to what happens,so prayer is pretty much wasted time.
I always imagine God sitting there listening to prayers and just thinking what whiners we are! Give me this Lord,give me that! I've been a good Christian Lord,hear me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• "I always imagine God sitting there listening to prayers and just thinking what whiners we are"

This made me LOL!

I actually thought about this same thing this morning. A childhood friend of mine is dying of brain cancer. He's only 29, is married & has a young son. He served in Iraq twice & afterwards joined the police force. He is a great man, very spiritual, goes to church, loves Jesus & everything. I have been praying for him. But, i wondered if it actually does anything. I wondered why when some people get better they say "It's a miracle" but when someone does not get better, they say "Well, god has his plans for everything". This is where Karma usually makes more sense to me....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• God "favors" no one.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I dont' believe in any god so I think all teh lipservice and prayers are only for those who believe in him to make themselves feel better. But if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure a God would be more concerned with how a person behaves in his name rather than how much they pray or try to convert others.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think God would rather us be more concerned about our own spirituality than the path of others and whether its "right" or "wrong" (unless, of course they invite us to help them find their path or reconsider their path, etc), that He would prefer us living with loving, gracious hearts than with cold, judgmental ones that are puffed up with self righteous piety and pride.... Other than that, I can't think of anything....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think that many "christians" would be really shocked if God actually told them who he favors and who he doesn't. I think many of these said "christians" would themselves on the not so favored list. Most of those who scream about being "favored of the Lord" probably are NOT.
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 11:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think we all believe different things.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You completely do not understand prayer. Prayer is first communication with God. It has nothing to do with whining or asking for stuff. And actually, NO, I know that it pleases God more when we pray for others than ourselves, "you reap what you sow". You pray for blessings for others and God blesses you.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think a god would bless/favor any and all of his/her/it's children. Regardless of prayers, actions, thoughts, "sins", etc.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I don't think it's a matter of changing His mind. And He does know what's going to happen, but I think of it like this - there are certain things I just give my kids (clothes, beds, etc.), but then there are things that I can give them and will if they ask, but I want them to ask. He knows the desires of our hearts, like I pretty much know what my kids want/like, but sometimes I want them to ask for things - I think it's so they know where their things are coming from. I believe God enjoys any time we choose to spend with Him in prayer, regardless of what we are asking for. He loves us and wants our time, as well as our requests.

Answer by missanc at 11:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

^^^Exactly.

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010