If you have two parents from different backrounds what are you considered?

No bashing to this question, but I was on here the other day and somebody said that President Elect Obama was considered black because that is what his father was! So my question is that I have foster brothers that are the same skin tone as Mr. Obama but they have a white dad so are they considered white because of there dad or black? Just really courious. Don't get me wrong I love these kids I treat them as my own! I was just really curious! They come from ruf homes and I am proud of my parents for taking them and raising them as thier own. There friends at school ask them if they are black and my 8 year old brother says no my mom and dad are white how do you deal with that question at that age?

Beccah2

Asked by Beccah2 at 4:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• Hmmm...I heard the opposite. I heard that he was considered white because they used his MOTHER'S race as a reference.

I personally don't think either of those are correct at all. He is biracial and is considered biracial. His skin color is "black" (or brown), thus he is related to as a "black person". On a child's birth certificate race is NOT stated. When it comes to legal documents, most often biracial people check the box next to BOTH of their ethnicity's or they check the "other" box. Actually now-a-days, some documents have a box for "mixed races".

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 5:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• OK, so they're adopted?
    Well, I read that post about a person being whatever the father is, too. I don't really know where that's coming from. It just sounds like they're trying to make a fact out of an opinion.
    So, I think the "technical" answer would be bi-racial. But I think the real answer is whatever they consider themselves to be. It really depends on whether you're filling out a government document or questioning your personal identity. Does that make any sense?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER IS MIXED SHE IS 8 AND SAID TO ME MOM YOUR WHITE AND DAD IS BLACK AND I'M BROWN SHE KNOWS SHE IS BIRACIAL IF SHE WANTS TO BE CALLED BROWN THAT IS FINE WITH ME ! IF I NEED TO CHECK OFF HER RACE ON PAPER THEN I CHECK BLACK THAT IS HOW THE WORLD SEE'S HER IF I CAN CHECK MORE THAN ONE I WILL CHECK WHITE ALSO ! THE CITY WHERE I LIVE IS VERY BIRACIAL BUT WE CALL OUR KIDS MIXED AND IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT COLOR THE FATHER IS MIXED IS MIXED ! AS FAR AS OBAMA I CALL HM MIXED BUT THE WORLD ONLY SEE'S BLACK !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Technically, in texas they did me and my children this way, when i was growing up it was what your father was. Now it changed I am assuming because alot of women don't know who the dad is or it takes a while to find them. whatever. When I had my oldest this is true. WIC made me choice the race of my child, I looked at her like she was crazy I said excuse me how am I going to pick what she is she's mixed like 4 times over, Im mixed. There dad is black. I am Mexican, Spanish, French, Black (my parents both mixed).
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 6:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My kids look Mexican not black. R white. When i was born and my father was born if you werent black you were white (and they checked a box with hispanic descent) so the lady made me so mad i picked mexican.she knew my dh was black (she was black). so when i had this one wic actually puts the whole list of races on there and so does the hospital. so they are black with hispanic descent from mexico and spain and white lol. But people still go on what you look like,its a judgemental thing.
    MommaKee

• Oh and if they have boxes I check all the races they are, or other or mixed. On other they always have a little line, and mine takes almost the whole page. I so freaken heart being me!!!
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 6:29 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• God made me whit I am almost see through like casper! LOL I must be his long lost sister. =)
    Beccah2

Answer by Beccah2 at 6:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I've always been told if you are white then you are white. If you are mixed with anything else that's what you are. Be it black, mexican, korean, what ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• They are going to be adopted when the court okays th paper work! I am happy too. The sad thing is My brother asked me if he had marry white or brown. Then he laughed at me because I was speechless! How do you answer these questions these kids come up with. I told him to marry whoever he falls in love with and he said he was glad I answered that way so God could choose. They are Cute but some questions he comes up with. The kids in my parents house all know thy are different. There are a set of bothers that are very dark and young but the size of football players and thy know they are different but never ask about there race. My little sister that was adopted last year is 5 and she is Indian and black mix and beautiful. I just call them family but you should see the looks we get at the Stores and comments it is really sad!
    Beccah2

Answer by Beccah2 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• The skin tone usually determines what the person will be considered as. White is white. Anything else mixed with it is going to create another skin tone. If it is the lighter version and that person wishes to claim that side as the majority winner, then they can check the white box and probably get away with it. Any other tone, will be questioned anyway. Claim what you are and be who you want!
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 7:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2008