Isn't it unusual for a 18 yr. old to have ear tubes put in?

My daughter went to see a ent because she has been having very frequent ear infections and ear is always stuffy and they said that she needs tubes put in and that while it is more common in younger kids, because of her ear infections he was going to put them in.
Has anyone heard of them putting tubes in older kids, well more like young adults.?

my4loves3

Asked by my4loves3 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Health

• I've always had problems with my ears. Had tubes when I was 12. They did nothing for me, I probably should have had them again. My doctor recently told me (I'm 34) that if I keep getting ear infections, I'll need them again. It's not common, but they do it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Considering the double-blind studies that have proved that tubes have no affect at all on the frequency or duration of ear infections, I'm astonished that the procedure is ever done anymore.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I had them in at 26! I was alway fighting infections and had one when they put them in,...had tonsils and adnoids out at the same time....it was pretty awful and painful I could not talk for about 3 weeks
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have had them put it several times from childhood til now and I'm 50 years old, they fall out and if you need them they keep putting them in.
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That is interesting, i have never heard of an adult having it done.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2010