Got Milk? Well I havent got enough how can I produce more?

Im breast feeding my three week old son and have been having trouble producing enough milk. Been taking fenugreek supplement and drinking the occasional odouls non alcoholic beer but no change. Any advice?

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 11:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• eat oatmeal, drink lots of water.
    Brewers yeast helps.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Latch the baby on far more frequently.

Your son's stomach is about the size of his fist. There is a limit to how much you can stuff in there (however common grossly overfeeding bottle-fed babies is)... and breastmilk digests extremely rapidly. For optimal growth, young babies need unrestricted access to the breast.

Unrestricted means:

~ it doesn't matter how long he's been nursing, if he's still latched on he needs to stay there.
    ~ it doesn't matter if he ate 4 minutes ago or 40 minutes ago, if he's hungry, he needs to eat now
    ~ it doesn't matter if he eats on one or both sides at every feeding
    ~ it doesn't matter if 'he can't be hungry' because he's already fed 4 or 8 or 31 times today
    ~ it doesn't matter if it's 3am or 3pm, if he's hungry he needs to eat

If he doesn't eat more often, you will not make more milk. Breasts are glands that make fluid in response to physical cues -not storage containers that 'fill
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• – collapse
    From what iv heard if you dont produce enough milk then your going to have to switch to formula or u could talk to ur dr.
    SamanthaGoetz

Answer by SamanthaGoetz at 11:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• How do you know that you don't have enough milk?
    Are you trying to gauge it by pumping? Pumps are unreliable in measuring how much you are producing.

Is he getting between 10-12 damp diapers a day? If so, then you are just fine. DAMP does NOT mean soaked.

Also, around 3 weeks, they go thru a growth spurt and will nurse constantly to make your body produce more as they get bigger. Just nurse on demand, it only lasts about a week. It will happen again in about 3 weeks then at 3 months, then 6 months...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• water water water!!! drink tons of water!! how much fenugreek r u taking i took 3pills 3x a day to help my supply! mothers milk tea is good too! nurse as much as possible!! join the breast feeding group on here if u havent already! they are a great help!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• As someone else mentioned, dipes are the only measure. Nothing else matters. 6-8 per day, though, content matters not. 4 TB water in a dipe = one wet.

So... how are those dipes?

You can drop by the breastfeeding moms group for more info.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Relax! I can't believe the difference in my production of milk when I went home after my baby being in the hospital for a month. Just relaxing made a difference. Stress can affect a lot of things. So relax, play some music or whatever will relax you. I'll bet that will help plus the other good advice other people mentioned.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 11:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Can you tell us why you think you aren't producing enough milk? Is baby latching on correctly? If baby is latching then the best way to boost production is to keep nursing. Put baby to the breast every time you can, and at the very least nurse every two hours even if you don't think baby is hungry or if you have to wake him up. If you start nursing at 11:00 and finish at 11:30 then you start again at 1:00 (not 1:30) unless baby is hungry before that.

Also, keep in mind that by now your breasts are probably not getting engorged or hard prior to nursing as they likely did in the first couple of weeks. This does not mean you're not producing milk, it just means your body has regulated and adjusted to the nursing and knows how much milk to make, so you aren't getting engorged anymore.

This place is a great resource for nursing info and support. Hang in there Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Try to remain calm while breastfeeding - I did not have a good milk supply and the more I worried about it, the more sparse it became. I had a lacation consultant give me a good tip - really focus on your baby while breastfeeding, because it brings on a sense of calm and nurturing, which assists in the letdown happening.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Offer the breast before the baby acts hungry. You will surprised at how often he will take it. The more you nurse the more you make.

The engorgement has probably gone down. At 3 weeks many women stop feeling "full of milk." that is normal. It does not mean you are not producing. It means your supply is perfect.

How many diapers are you changing per 24 hours?

Holding your baby more will make you produce more milk. The smell of your baby will stimulate your milk production. You can wear the baby in a wrap or sling.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010