Does anyone have a bad personal habit you do to yourself?

I bite my nails, before I know it, Im doing it.I have let them grow out too but I guess its like a nervous tick,even though I love pretty nails I cant seem to quit.I try getting my nails professionally done and find myself after spending 30 bucks trying to get those off, I know its ridiculous!!!

karencrouch

Asked by karencrouch at 11:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I pull at my hair sometimes, not super hard or anything but it frustrates my friends and my fiance like crazy
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 11:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I bite the inside of my lips, they are always peeling because I never let them heal!
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I pick the skin around my fingernails. I try so hard to stop but I can't (unless I'm wearing fake nails, and I hate those). My husband will smack my fingers when he catches me, but I do it while driving, watching tv, and I don't even notice it till I get one bleeding. Ugh I'd do anything to quit because it makes my fingers look so ugly and it damages the bed of my nails =(
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I "twiddle" or twirl my hair and end up making a knot and I actually pull alot of my hair out... nervous thing I guess, I do it without thinking
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Currently, I've neglected my skin a bit. It's getting really dry sue to the weather and I need to keep lotion on it. Actually, I just rubbed some all over my body, but I know that I won't do it as often as I should, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I tend to seperate all the colors out of anything that I have. My husband picks on me about it but I can't really help it. I try not to but I just do it before I know what I'm doing.
    mary_whtsn

Answer by mary_whtsn at 11:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i bite my lips and im always geting yelled at about it i bite them to the point they bleed..
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What people do to allay their anxiety has nothing at all to do with logic. Or money.

You can, if you'd like, learn to do something different with your anxiety --rather than biting your nails. It begins by noticing what anxiety even feels like, because I expect you have not felt any for a good long time. Your comment about 'without even realizing it' suggests that your stimulus/response time between 'maybe becoming anxious' and biting your nails has reduced to zero.

One way of getting over a nervous habit is to focus on it, with a quota. Instead of trying to avoid it (which causes anxiety) try to do it a certain number of times a day. If you find yourself biting your nails 5 or 6 times a day on a normal day and 10 or 12 on a 'bad' day, try making a quota of every single nail once a day, minimum. Twice a day each and you win a prize. Make a chart.

Try it, and see what happens.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• OP, I'm the same as you. I bite my nails when I'm nervous or stressed out about something. If I let them grow out, they look awful.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I pick at any pimples. My son said this morning that he likes looking at my scabs. Sigh.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 12:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010