Is college scary, writing term papers hard, if you haven't been to school in years?

I am going back but the thought of research & term papers scares me. Is it really that bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in

• It can be. It all depends on the class and the professor.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Not that bad at all!! With the Internet, it's easier than ever to format them correctly, and do research. You'll be fine, don't sweat it! And congrats on going back to school1
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• na. i love college. so much better then high school. its more discpline but there is a level of respect and just more maturity when you go to college. i agree some professors can be tougher then others but its what you put into it that you will get out of it and there is so much help at the schools now that its some what easier in a way. good luck to you.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It can be at first but it all depends on what the class is that you are taking, the instructor and how well they prepare you. It does help having access to the internet.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There is a lot of assistance available for the writing, but you may at least initially find thinking the way that school asks of you to be difficult --even kids straight out of high school have a hard time with the rigors of college-level thought (and how that translates into scholarly writing), because mostly they've only ever been asked to regurgitate what they've been told, not have an original thought about it, or do research to support or refute their opinion... because colleges (at least good profs) require original though and well-reasoned argument, not opinions like 'because' or 'I don't like it.'

Most people find that the hardest part is the volume of reading they're required to do, and how fast that means they need to do it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am having trouble keeping up trying to help my highschool kids with their home work- I would not attempt to go back to college- but that is just me.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I already had my BA from when I was younger, but I decided to go back again when I was 32, so I had been out for 10 years. Yes, it was very scary! Until I took my first exams and saw how well I did - and I graduated that time with a 4.0. You can do it!

Answer by missanc at 11:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I hadn't been to school in over two years and I was scared too but its not really as bad as you would think. Its nothing like high school. Everyone is more grown up and don't have the "Clicks" like in high school. As for the homework its alot like high school. They don't give you more than you can handle but if its been awhile since you were in school its best to take it ease the first semester and only take like two classes.
    mary_whtsn

Answer by mary_whtsn at 11:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I didn't think so, and I was on an accelerated program (each class was 1 semester's worth of work condensed into a 1-month format) and I had been out of college for 15 years at the time I decided to go back.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm doing distance ed right now- haven't been in school since I graduated from university ten years ago! The first time I submitted an assignment I was intimidated, but I've gotten over it... just wrote a final last night and looking forward to next semester!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2010