Christmas??

Does it bother you when people write Xmas?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• No.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No lol...I wonder if it bothers people when I write ¬°Feliz Navidad!...
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Feliz Navidad doesnt bother me..but taking Christ out of Christmas does bother me lol.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• no not really
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Hahaha! To each their own you know...ha ha, and the only reason I right that, is because its my native...and nobody in my
    family speaks English... lol.

Seriously don't get annoyed by that.. spell it the way you would, and don't worry about the others..
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Back in the day, when paper and ink were both precious commodities, a great deal of shorthand was common. It is the source of the & symbol, as well as the # and @...

Now, we tend to think our modern world invented everything, from character limits to texting... but the X was how 'Christ' was written in many contexts. It is the sign of the cross, specifically, and used routinely as such until paper became incredibly inexpensive (relatively).

So, being irritated by traditional things is pretty ordinary... but being irritated by one's own ignorance is funnier. At least to watch.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No. If I let things as small as that bother me, I'd always be miserable. I pick and choose my battles and what I choose to let bother me. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Haha it's not like its driving me crazy..i just see it and think its sad we are Xing Christ out of the season. I dont think most peopel are imaging a cross when they use the X. I agree it is fast but I have seen it several times this morning and it just made me wonder if other people see it as Xing Him out.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• it doesnt and it shouldn't.. "X" is an old Greek symbol for Christ. It's okay to use X.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Knowing the history behind it is helpful. It's not a slam against Christianity.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010