Don't spend money you don't have to spend...except to buy my book, dvd and software

So it's that time of year again for Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman to hit all the news shows and give "free advice" on saving money while holiday shopping, but at the same time, hawk their latest book, lecture tour, tv show or computer software. I think I've seen Suze 3 times just this morning alone.

Do you put much credence in the advice they give during these little 2 minute interviews? (Or for that matter, do you give them much credit in general when their main message is no extra spending, except to spend money on them for common sense?)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I like Suze Orman, and Clark Howard for that matter. But a lot of what they say is common sense, and I don't pay money for their books, dvds, etc - I just watch their shows or visit their web sites. All free.

Answer by missanc at 12:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• is this Irony?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I love public libraries.

I get to read the books and not buy them.

I love second hand bookstores.

I get to own the books and not pay full price for them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That reminds me of Benny Hinn. I was astounded when I heard him telling those who had no money to pay everything they could afford (even if it mean not paying rent!) to "plant the seed". Apparently, once they did that, they'd become wealthy, thanks to God. Sorry, I know this has zero to do with your actual question, but it reminded me of it, lol.

And no, I don't give much credence to those who contradict themselves. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• LOL. I have a couple of her books. I haven't paid for any of them. My friend used to give me a different book each year-because I hadn't bought a house yet. We weren't ready. She refused to hear that and got a sub prime mortgage.

She got lucky and managed to sell out of it, right before everything went bad. I don't like to play the lottery with my housing situation. Or even a dollar, really. But at any rate, there isn't a single bit of info in any of them that's not online for free.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think they have great points, but I won't pay money to listen to them. As someone else said, they really are teaching common sense.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sorry, I know this has zero to do with your actual question,

No, honestly, I think it's the same question, just a different audience.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I like Dave Ramsey, it's worth the money to buy his product if you are actually going to use his ideas. It's great if you are already debt free but most people need the advice because they have screwed up their finances. Is he supposed to give the books away?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, he's not. He's a businessman and is working to make a profit. That's great. It's just the irony of the statements.

I'd suggest that someone who is thinking about buying the book borrow it from the library first and read it. After you read it, if you know you'll actually use the information and need the book for reference, then go and buy the book.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Dave Ramsey has a radio show- free. Churches put together financial peace seminars- many times free. Family support on military bases offer his book ( as well as others) for military~ free. Libraries have his books. It used to be-'if you went to Ramsey's website, his site doesn't allow people to purchase/ sign up for seminars using credit cards.. Debit cards/ cashiers checks only...Two of the best things my dad gave me- Franklin covey planner and seminar; Dave Ramsey book/seminar... While I wasn't in financial despair back in the 90's~ - young, married, in a consumer materialistic world~ my dad didn't want me or my dh to lose sight of priorities.... I live by the Ramsey ideals.... Plenty of savings.. No need for credit cards. But established credit rating.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010